Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clear Bass tones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Hi i currently use the Ampeg SVTCL Classic head with SVT15" and SVT210 cabs. The 210 has a horn with level adjustment. I play rock fingerstyle using a Musicman stingray bass.

I love my sound most of the time but i still wish i could get more treble clarity, the low end and mids are great,but turn up too much treble and the horn sounds very hissy, it doesnt matter if i turn up my bass amp treble or bass guitar treble i get the clearer treble but with it loads of hiss from the horn. If i turn the horn off the cab sounds a bit missing so maybe its the horn quality , any ideas to get this better, i like good low end without being boomy and twangy top to stand out in the band mix, hence the treble.
    Any ideas, ps i play stainless steel strings which sound great, better than nickel wound for my type of sound.
    Please help !!

Marty

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Try turning the horn off or almost off and then boost the treble. This may or may not work depending on where your horn crossover is set.

HTH
    Jack

3. Yes i have now tried turning the horn off completely and with a bit of eq adjustment it does sound better, it makes the 2 x 10" work a bit better and the top end hiss has gone. Do you guys turn the horns off normally,

Mart

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    ....yes. They just add hiss and finger noise, from my expereince.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    horns are fine...but the ones put into most bass cabs are crap. The one I put into my avatar sounds fantastic. I'd say the hiss is only about 30-50% of what it was. I can turn the horn up higher and get all the high end I want and its really smooth.

My tweeter replacement story

6. had an ampeg 410classic and just couldn´t use the horn ever ´cuz of the hiss and distorted treble. horn off for me too or no horn at all please.

7. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I keep my horn attenuator set to flat. Generally, I even keep the hi band on my head EQ flat as well, but I'll cut my hi's there if need be.