Clear Channel blocking bands from selling instant albums

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 26, 2004.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Ok, business is business, but this is parasitism, plain and simple.

Clear Channel Limits Live CDs

Company to block bands from selling instant albums

In the past few years, fans leaving some concerts have discovered a souvenir far better than a T-shirt: a live recording of the show they just attended. Bands including the Allman Brothers, moe. and Billy Idol have sold instant concert discs, and the Pixies and the Doors plan to launch similar programs this summer. The recording-and-burning company DiscLive estimated on April 12th that it would gross $500,000 selling live discs this spring alone.
    But in a move expected to severely limit the industry, Clear Channel Entertainment has bought the patent from the technology's inventors and now claims to own the exclusive right to sell concert CDs after shows. The company, which is the biggest concert promoter in the world, says the patent covers its 130 venues along with every other venue in the country.

"We want to be artist-friendly," says Steve Simon, a Clear Channel executive vice president and the director of Instant Live. "But it is a business, and it's not going to be 'we have the patent, now everybody can use it for free.'"

Artists net about ten dollars for every twenty- to twenty-five-dollar concert CD that's sold, no matter which company they use. But with Clear Channel pushing to eliminate competition, many fear there will be less money and fewer opportunities to sell live discs. "It's one more step toward massive control and consolidation of Clear Channel's corporate agenda," says String Cheese Incident manager Mike Luba, who feuded with Clear Channel last year after promoters blocked the band from using CD-burning equipment.

The Pixies, who are booking a fall reunion tour with several probable Clear Channel venues, say Clear Channel has already told them DiscLive can't burn and sell CDs on-site. "Presuming Clear Channel's service and product are of equal quality, it may be best to feed the dragon rather than draw swords," says Pixies manager Ken Goes. "Still, I'm not fond of doing business with my arm twisted behind my back."

Clear Channel doesn't plan to stop Phish, Pearl Jam, the Who or other bands that make live recordings available days after the show. It has also granted one-dollar licenses to a few up-and-coming bands to record and sell instant CDs of their own shows. But Clear Channel executives maintain that they have the right to stop anyone who tries to infringe on the patent. Many say this strategy prevents inventors from jumping into a marketplace and creating further innovation. "We'd like to see this industry opened up to everybody," says Erik Stubblebine, founder and vice president of Hyburn, a Phoenix company that has sold instant CDs for dozens of concerts in the past three years. "They're trying to squeeze us."
  2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    That's BS. Not cool at all...

So how long after the show can an artist release a live cd without a licence from CCE?

3. ok, what does clear channel NOT own?
  4. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Nothing. I hear they're buying Walmart next and are taking over the world.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sick, just sick.

Time to go on a tri-state killing spree.
  6. which states?

i foresee the world being run by clear channel, starbucks & wal mart within the next 7 to 10 years. governments won't send soldiers to war. but the companies will send out green smock wearing baristas to fight to the death with red vest wearing store greeters.

terrible times.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  8. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It sure is a good thing George W. Bush is so anti-corporation. I bet he'll step in and break this monopoly up any day now. :rollno:

Could Clear Channel be classified as a terrorist organization, please? They are terrorizing artists enough; it's time to sick ol' Rumsfeld on them with his Twin Cobra Fist technique!

10. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Then Time Warner will buy them up in one fell swoop. Seriously, you know this will infringe on tapers who legally tape shows because the artist will let them. Clear Channel will put an end to that and probably jack prices up so high for the cds after the show. It sucks because Clear Channel is so hard to boycott
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Reason #342 of why Clear Channel are complete and utter bastards.

Slightly related;there have been a number of bands that have been releasing "tour-only" discs. They're a good way to add incentive to see the live show and are a way to fight bootlegs. Sage Francis and Atmosphere I know have both released a series of them. In addition, Fugazi's Brendan Canty has setup a "request-a-disc" service where people can request a CD-R of one of the listed Fugazi shows (including their first one) and get it burned and sent to them. Pretty cool stuff. More shows are going to be made available as they master the live recordings of other shows. (Fugazi has made a point of recording all their live shows...sound quality varies but the ones that were unlistenable don't make the cut)
  12. Note to self.

Start my own label.

Or play on non clear channel small labels.
  13. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Note to self, buy albums off said label
  14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    What's the patent that they hold? For what technology?
  15. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Contemplating the ultimate merger... only question is what to call the new conglorporation: MicroChannel? ClearSoft?

16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    "A man with a briefcase can steal more money than a man with a gun."

- Don Henley

Pretty well says it all.
  17. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

I can use any technology (CD burners, computer programs, ADAT tapes etc) to burn my own CD's, isn't up to your label who may own your rights how it's distributed? How can they own that?
  18. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
  19. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  20. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    It's getting to the point were bands are going to have to sell dvd's just to make money...