1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clear coat chipped off, should I worry about it?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mili, Apr 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ignore it!

48 vote(s)
    77.4%
  2. fix it!

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Fill it with mashed Carrot!

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Hello TBers
    I bought this Bass 3 months ago but I didn't notice it, I remember the strap button was loose so i tightened it and the screw was already hard to tight. it still rotates and i don't know is it normal or it's still loose.(i doesn't wobble).

About the chip what i can do? Should I worry about it?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    P_20200414_114307_1.jpg

3. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    I personally wouldn't give it a second thought. I take good care of my stuff, but when the inevitable chips/scratches happen, it's just part of what makes it my instrument. It's almost kind of a relief in a way. Sometimes I hesitate to take a really nice instrument and actually use it, but once it's a little banged up, no more fear!

4. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Thanks, what about strap button? As i said it doesn't wobble but you can rotate the cone ...

5. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I usually use a larger screw but I read on TB that you can put wooden toothpick in the hole and screw with original screw (and it works!)

6. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    It's not a stripped screw, it works fine but the cone isn't completely tight and I can't tighten the screw more. I guess i caused the chipping by tightening the screw too much.

7. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    Maybe you can put piece of rubber underneath the cone so it cannot move or rotate?

MCF, cool breeze and Mili like this.
  8. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    If the actual strap button is rotating but the screw seems tight then the hole for the screw simply wasn’t drilled deep enough. The screw may have hit a harder part of the wood so I would not recommend trying to tighten the screw any more as you might simply shear the head of the screw off. Then you’re truly screwed. ;)

If you want to fix it, back the screw out, match the hole to the correct drill bit (Ie, one that will not widen the hole any further), drill the hole just a tiny bit deeper, then reinsert the screw until it seats properly.

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Clear coat chipped off, should I worry about it?
    it wouldn't bother me given the location and the fact that it didn't leave bare wood. you could always fill it in if it bothers you.

EatS1stBassist, Mili and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Yep.

Aqualung60 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Actually the bare wood is what I'm concerned about.
    If it won't make any kind of damage i can live with it.

JRA likes this.
  12. JRA

sorry, it looked (in the pics) like it hadn't chipped to the bare wood --- like only the clear-coat chipped out some. you could always dab in some clear with a small brush just to keep the wood from getting dirty. if it was me: i'd use some of my wife's clear fingernail polish and call it a day, but clear-coat from the hardware is probably better!

13. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Don't be sorry my friend, I'm sorry for low quality pics.
    I don't have a wife, sister and even GF and my old mom doesn't care about her nails! :Dhow about clear wood Varnish?!

14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Two options I'm aware of, "drop fill" with clear laquer, a long tedious process, the other is CA glue. There is a new product called Gluboost that's advertised as useful for filling chips, unlike traditional CA, it doesn't cloud up when you accelerate it, so it's a lot faster. I haven't used it myself yet. This video is directed towards pro luthiers, but you can just get a small bottle of clear and accelerator. Basically building up the chip a hair proud of the finish, and then sanding it flush with progressively finer paper.

15. JRA

that will work! don't need much --- just enough to keep the wood from getting dirty, really. good luck! :thumbsup:

Low84 and Mili like this.
  16. La Faro

La Faro

Jun 20, 2016
    Da Nang, Viet Nam
    How about CA glue without the accelerator, just waiting it out between coats?

Gilmourisgod and Mili like this.
  17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    the clear coat is not the problem, the loose strap button screw is …. take out the screw and put in some tooth picks and wood glue and screw the screw back in and let it dry

18. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Replace the screw with a slightly shorter one or lop the end of that one off.

While you have it out, brush a couple of coats of clear fingernail polish on the bare spot.

Add a felt washer under the button when it's time to reinstall it.

19. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This is the correct answer. As the OP said, the screw hole isn't stripped.

20. LostJohnny

LostJohnny

Mar 11, 2020
    NYC
    Actually, if the screw is tight but the button is rotating, is that even a problem? I have one guitar where the screw+button are tight, but then the strap pulls on the button, which makes it want to turn, which makes the screw want to turn, which is not good. It's occurred to me that it might be better if the button were loose, like a bearing.