1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clear coat decay on roof of pickup- cover with vinyl wrap?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My truck is a 2000 Dodge Dakota. It's dark blue with silver around the bottom. The cab has a couple of patches where the clear is starting to let go. Instead of getting somewhere like Maaco to fix it, I was wondering if covering that area with vinyl would do (having it professionally done ?) I am thinking silver to match the bottom of the truck. Bad idea?

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Look into plastidip, could do it yourself.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A vinyl roof would cover it, but if the clear coat is coming off, the vinyl may lift IF the clear coat it's bonded to comes loose. I'm not sure that it would if it's not exposed to sunlight and weather.

You might also consider a very fine sanding of the clear coat, buffing, then re-applying rattle can clear lacquer over the surface. If you have a friend who works at a body shop or does that kind of work, you might also ask them for ideas.

Or - if you're thinking of making the roof silver anyway - sand it to remove all loose material, prime it, shoot it with a couple of coats silver from a rattle can, then do multiple acrylic lacquer clear coats from rattle cans and use a soft pad in a VSR drill and 3-M Finesse-It II machine polish to buff it. The rattle cans at car repair stores are usually acrylic lacquer which is pretty easy to use and dries fast.

the main danger is that it might look the rest of the truck look old!

This bass I refinished was done with that exact process....

P-J_bass_controls.

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    common with dakotas of that vintage. My '02 R/T is starting to do it too. Vinyl wrap or repaint are your only 2 options. You should stop by our club site sometime, lots of good tech info there. www.dakotart.com