Clear it up for me.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dom Wannabe, May 19, 2004.

1. Dom Wannabe

Dom Wannabe

May 17, 2004
    im still wondering about gettin one of those neat seethru acrylic/lucite basses. any words of advice/ encouragement/ warning? Or haranguing. Whatever. Just some sage advice. :confused:
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The tone isn't great. It's very dull and plastic sounding. The only reason someone would buy one is purely on looks, and that's never a good way to buy a bass.
  3. Dom Wannabe

Dom Wannabe

May 17, 2004
    ok. good. anyone else?
  4. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I had an Ampeg Dan Armstrong that I just sold yesterday. I really liked it, but it just wasn't getting played. I thought it had a very warm round tone, but for most of the music I'm getting called for it just didn't fit the bill. Also, the thing was a boat anchor and wasn't very well balanced. It was kind of one of those basses that you have just for the sake of having.
  5. The plastic bass are generally pretty awful...

Havent got great electronics and the plastic body has no resonating properties at a very nasty dull thuddy sound with no clarity...

Slapping and tapping is a cant get any feel to the notes or tone and with no top end again sound dull....

The finishing on the onces I have seen have been crude and the necks..well ive seen better wood on Ikea funiture in the cheap range...

The Ampeg Dan Armstrong ones were slighty different as they had very good electronics and used decent woods for the neck and fingerboards..tho i still would never buy one

Plus they are extremly light...which most would think is a bad isnt....its does feel like your wearing anything.. i beleive a bass should be a natural extension of your body...this feels like youve got a kids novelty necklace on...

Sorry for being crude.....

I'd shop around and get a good quality second hand bass....and if u havent got a big budget check out Peavey and Yamaha both offer good entry level instruments that are a few par's about Squires, vintage, Aria's etc etc.!!!

Good luck..!!