Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clear, piano like tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ladros2, Sep 1, 2005.

1. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    I'm looking for strings with a lively, bright, piano like tone, but that still have enough bottom end. I don't have the money to try them all out, plus the fact that they're nearly twice the price here. I was looking at stainless steel strings, but don't know the differences between brands, any advice?

2. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I've always noticed that the DR highbeams give me the most clarity. I also noticed that if you slap and pop'em they give out a nice piano plucking sound.

3. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I am using Rotosound RB50 and find them to sound as you have described. They are heavy gauge (50 ~ 110) and nickel plated, and have a good feel. They are also very reasonably priced; I paid approx. US$13.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    My own experience has been that stainless steel rounds give me the pianoish ring. I've given up on nickel strings...

5. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    Labella Supersteps, AJ Fodera custom (I think they're called open core? I'm not sure), DM SR2000, GHS contact core.
    Usually taper or exposed/contact core. It's also the way piano strings are manufactured.
    IMHO

Mo'

6. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    DR. Highbeams are awesome if thats the tone you are after.

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    D'addario ProSteels. You simply don't get that high-end "chime" from nickels.

8. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    +1

9. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Pro Steels get my vote.

Dave

10. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Changing strings might get you a little closer to a piano-like sound, but I think what you're really after is a graphite neck.