Clear Pick guard buffing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chinjazz, Nov 4, 2005.

1. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Hi folks.. I just bought a clear pick guard for my 55-94 Lakland and found that the outter edges were somewhat un-finished or sharp. Having done some ding work on other basses I was familiar with different grit sand paper.

Smoothed out the edges with 400 then 1000 grit paper but accidentially scratched the surface (dulling the top in a small section).. Well, I'm not liking this.

Am I off base if I were to get some higher grit paper 1500-1800, then a brown paper bag to this section.. Then some polishing compound? Would this bring back the glass smooth finish? What are some good polishing compounds to be found out there?

Thanks for any feedback!
  2. Go to your local auto parts store and get some Meguiars plastic polish. It's specially made for just this sort of polishing. It's a semi liquid with polymer beads and should do the trick.
  3. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I've had some success on plastics by using sandpaper up to 2000 and then attacking it with some plastic polish. I couldn't tell you the brand I've got, but it seems to work just fine so long as you've sanded it out enough that there are only 2000 grit scratches left.

By way of another endorsement of plastic polish, a friend of mine takes it to the visor on his motorcycle helmet every few months. He seems to think it works, too.

4. This would also be my suggestion. It really works remarkably well.
  5. what is the guard made of? I've flamed the edges of cut / bevelled Lexan quicklywith a bic lighter to get them devoid of sanding marks altogether...for the top scratches, yeah, the Meguiars is pretty good, but not perfect. realise you'll get scrathes no matter what...

Flaming the edge is not something to be done on celluloid.
  6. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    I picked up the Meguiars PlastX.. I'll take a few pics tonight before and after for the next folks trying this procedure..
    Reading the label fo this bottle informs me that I could get scratches out of CDs as well.. I'll post later tonight..
  7. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Here are the results.. First pic is Before, 2nd is After...

Up close you can notice the work, but it's definitely an improvement! I probably could have done better if I got a 2000 grit paper before the PlastX.

Thanks guys!