Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clear resin Bass body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by surfin4j, Oct 25, 2005.

1. surfin4j

surfin4j

Oct 25, 2005
    Sydney
    G'day
    Has anyone ever experimented with clear resins (think epoxy or other) in the body of their bass?
    My grand idea is to (im in the process of making a bass - cut out the body so far...) pour some sort of clear resin into the area (that i have routed out) around the pickups so it sits flush with the front. i endevour to put some sort of lights system in it (dicky - i know... havnt seen it done before tho).
    Am i dreaming? will the resin affect the tone significantly (even if ive got good wood) and does anyone know of any good resin that would do the job???

Thanks for the thinking time

Andy

2. It would be heavy for a start. Work out the volume of your cavities and then weigh a container of the stuff then do the maths.
    You have to be careful drilling hols in it because they go white. So does every scratch.
    Tonally, I'm not sure, but try tapping a bit of wood and then try it with a paperweight. Should give you a clue. Thats if the joint between materials doesn't set up some odd harmonics.
    Ineresting...... but dont try it with your best bass!