clear sound while at gigs.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by billybo, Nov 19, 2002.

1. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    im been playing for a few months now...but i have a pre-amp and a boss bas overdrive but they kinda messed up....i realy cant tell what they do so...what should i buy so i can get a clear crisp and dark bass sound at when you turn the bass all the way up..i sitll want it to be clean...should i get a pre-amp or what???under 150..well actuly it odnt matter cuz i can get it for free...but what should i get..??
  2. what kind of bass and amp do you have?

what do you mean you cant tell what the pre-amp and overdrive do!?
  3. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    i have the basic squier p bass...and a 15 watt amp...but i dont use it at shows...i use what they got...i plug in the pa bord...but....whats the differnece between the 2?
  4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If I were you I'd try and ignore all the frills and complicated things. Just turn the volume and tone on your bass up to max, make sure you your pickups are nice and close to the strings (and closer on the high than the low strings) and then plug into whatever amp you've got (ignore the pedals for the moment, you'll appreciate them much more once you've got your clena tone sorted).

Turn the master volume down until it's quite low, and set all the EQ to 12 o'clock, or its a graphic EQ set everything flat. Turn up the pregain until you hear distortion on loud notes and then back it off a little bit. Then get the rest of the band playing and just turn you volume up until you're loud enough that you can hearself clearly without having to play really hard. DON'T TOUCH THE BASS CONTROL ON THE HEAD. LEAVE ALL THE EQ ALONE.

Then play through a song and once you've got used to how you sound and and hear yourself clearly in the mix, taking note of how you fit around the other instruments, start to experiment with making small adjustments to the EQ so you can understand how it changes your sound in the mix. Remember that everytime you boost a frequency you raise your overall volume, so by boosting the bass control you may think you make your bass sound better when all you're doing is making it louder. So whenever you boost your EQ, cut your master volume or pregain, whenever you cut your EQ , boost your master volume.

Because you're using quite cheap equipment you may find that a little EQ helps - but adding lots of EQ, particularly boost, will almost always make your sound muddy and distorted. With my rig, I just add a little Aural Enhance on my SWR preamp (a slight bass boost, low mid boost, mid cut, and high boost - seriously slight) and use no other EQ on the rig or the bass.

Try it, and tell me if it helps.