Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

clearer highs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Oct 18, 2005.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    does anyone know how i can get clearer, non-nasaly highs in my sound? i was thinking maybe a bbe maxcom, or an active onboard preamp for my bass? will either of these work? any other suggestions?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    While you can EQ it... you could also bring out harmonics from your bass, wich would make it sound even better.

You could try any Aural Exciter.
    that does the trick.

3. IMO... clear highs are the most difficult and expensive sound to get out of a bass. When was the last time you went to a club and said... man the bass player doesn't have enough bottom? It's usually a boomy mess with no upper mid articulation and no upper treble sizzle (if that's the sound the bass player is going for).

Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a bass player slapping away on a funk tune and only hearing mushy bottom coming out.

So... if you want clearer highs... it has to be a combination of a good cab (with a good quality tweeter if you really want sizzle), good, bright round wound strings, most probably a good Solid State amp (although a high quality tube amp will get you there if you are willing to haul it around), and clean, articulate technique.

The sonic maximizer stuff IMO is somewhat of a gimmic that you shouldn't need if your technique, instrument and rig are high quality and matched to the sound you hear in your head.

4. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well my gear is hardly high quality. my amp is a kustom groove 1200 into a ampeg svt 410 HLF. and there aint no way im gonna get a new head or cab anytime remotely soon.

im pretty sure im just asking too much of my bass. its an olp mm 2. i really like the bass itself and most aspects of the sound, but i just want to clear up the highs. i really like the sound of the SUB's that ive tried, so i think im just gonna resort to saving my money for a while and go for one of them.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

Hardly High Quality?

That Kustom is Very good, and the cab is great.
    The OLP might be the issue, but It would be better if you describe to us.. what is "clear highs"

You could check if your tweeter is working in the 410HLF it has an attenuator in the back

I had a 410HE that came with a blown fuse,and the tweeter never worked. I had always thought it was my bass, until i tried a different cab.
    Fixed mine.. and welcome Highs.

For another part.. the Strings play a BIG.. REALLY BIG, role in the "cleariness" of the treble.

6. +1 Your rig sound like it should sound great! I've learned through many years and many purchases that big money does not necessarily lead to great sound all the time. I've heard nothing but good things regarding the Kustom amps.

I totally agree on the strings... I'm loving DR Hi Beams at the moment. Your idea of a preamp in your bass might be the way to do... and also checking that tweeter, as recommended.

Good luck!

7. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah the tweeter is working fine, ive messed around with it quite a bit. as far as strings, im kicking myself for not remebering what i bought last time. i know they are DR, but i went to try out some sunbeams but they didnt have any so i settled with something else, either maybe hi beams i dont know.

i guess i also based hi quality on price for amps, i really really like mine and took lots of time picking it out, but it doesnt exactly stand up to some of the pricier heads which i dont even bother playing hoping that mine will sound bettre if i havent heard the supposedly super good/expensive ones.

but anyways, the clear sound im talking about, (maybe im using the wrong word) but the music man SUB sound is pretty much exactly what im going for, which is why it recently occured to me to just forget everything else and save up and buy one, but i was just seeing if i could get around it seeing as my bass is very similiar. i suppose the pickup preamp COULD work if i found one that could nail the sound, but you cant exactly try em out on your own bass at the store. so does anyone know of any on board preamps that could nail the SUB sound? aggy? barts? i have no idea as i never tried any of that stuff, i just know theres the aguilar obp's and some bartolinis for similar price, but i have no idea what there gonna sound like. if i cant find a preamp ill just wait and buy the real thing.

so thanks for all the help, and if anyone knows any good preamps for said sound, that would be greatly appreciated too

8. I think you are on the right track. If you've found a bass that really does it for you soundwise.... save up and get it (that's a nice bass for the money by the way). That bass through your rig sound sound wonderful IMO. Good luck!

9. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah thanks alot. probably gonna take me a bit though, as im 16 and dont have a job and i just finished buying my new head (sold my old ampeg 350) and ive got a rack and a furman pl-plus p/c comin in the mail...

but maybe after all this is over ill find a band that needs funk/rock slap bass player... or i could just shake the dust out of the walls of my room forever...

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    SWR cabs have very nice highs (but you'll miss the Ampeg's satisfying lows). The clarity is stunning.

Ampeg if you wanna rock her.

SWR if you wanna funk her.

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    new string will help you a lot too!!!

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ok, time to do a little experiment.

Do you have any knowledge on soldering?
    You could do this yourself, or take it to a repair shop.

Most MM such as the SUB, have the Pickup wired in Parallel instead of series. (You could put a switch in there, to do Series/Parallel/Single coil)

Whats interesting about this, is that the highs are clearer, and the lows arent as pronounced. The output is a little less too, but you can compensate with ANY onboard preamp. (I would put a Seymour Duncan on any MM) Or just increase the gain on your amp.

What I guess you are trying to do, is to have a popping sound when slapping that sounds clear and thin, as oposed as barky.

Believe me, I have done this kind of thing with ALL my basses.
    I always get into the electronics and pickup wiring just to see if I could make it sound better than factory.

For example, I rewired the switch on my Lakland from "Bridge coil, Parallel, neck coil", to "Series, Parallel, Bridge coil" and after 10 minutes I decided that Dan lakin was right after all. The Lakland will never sound like a MM. But at least I tried.

On my modulus on the other hand, I added "Series/Parallel/Single Coil" switches for each of the bart humbuckers (They were Series Stock), and I find myself always using the Parallel for tapping, the series for Fingerstyle, and Singlecoil for Slapping.
    It adds versatility.

So give it a try... It could give you exactly what you want. I highly recomend putting a Seymour Duncan Preamp (the MM designed model) in there, and you could even save it for adding it later to any bass you buy in the future. It would be a nice investment.

13. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Awesome. Totally awesome, syciprider.

14. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    about the preamp and wiring. yes i do have exprience with soldering, but im not in the financial position to be "expirimenting" at the momeny. i probably should have waited a while on this whole thread as i have no cash right, but in a few months when i can get a hold of some money, ill definitly take that preamp into consideration. only thing is i know for SURE that the buying and SUB will do what i want, AND i like the neck on it alot bettre than mine, AND ill still have this olp to mess around with and mod however i want becuase it will just be a backup bass. so i think im gonna get the actual SUB first, then use my olp to exprimiment with preamps, pickups, etc. but thanks alot everybody for all the input.

15. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well. you still could try the mod.. without cashing money.

The switch might be only $10... and that would be the cost of your mod.

:)

16. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    oh, i guess i didnt understand that right, i thought i would have to get a preamp to do that.

so how exactly would i go about doing that? i know generally what series vs. parrellel is but i dont know anything about wiring a switch, and how would i get that switch on the top of my bass?

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ok. As soon as I get home I´ll get the diagrams and part list for you.

You can go forward by checking if there are 2 wires or 4 on your pickup.

If there are only 2... then we are out of luck, because the pickup is hardwired inside for series operation.

18. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    ok well it looks like theres only two grey wires comin from the pickups