Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

clearest, cleanest, most sparkling amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emielow, Aug 2, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    what is in your opinion the most clear, clean, sparkling, well defined amp?

what amp will reflect the vibrations of your string the best?

no sounds you don't want to hear, just the perfect reproduction of your clear sounding bass...

2. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
  3. I know that SWR amps are pretty hi-fi, not sure about who else doesnt colour that much

4. EBS and Glockenclang the highest of the hi-fi if I'm not mistaken. Expensive too.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    any amp will quailify after a few runs thru the local car wash.

just don't forget to spring for the wax and polish treatments.

;)

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    r379 covers his mouth and trys to contain laughter.

7. Clearest and cleanest I've ever played through was a Euphonic Audio iamp through a Euphonic Audio VL-210

Too clean for my tastes, so I switched to a Aguialr DB750 head.

Just my $.02

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sounds like they're going direct straight to the board. in which case, an Avalon U5 into your power amp of choice with an uncolored cab like an Accugroove or Acme will do.

course, for a regular rig, you can try:

- Epifani UL502, Quest II preamp
    - EA iAMP-500, 800
    - Walter Woods head

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    What he said......

10. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    wow, this question is not biased at all.

everyone is going to have a different opinion on this

11. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Glockenklang. It's the reason many european luthiers use them for reference amps. There's a reason for it.

I had a HeartCore for about a year and it is a super clean amp. Way more transparent than an EA Iamp or any of the other dozens of amps I've owned.

12. WOW, Best sound I ever heard!

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I've played both and would totally disagree with that statement. In fact I found the Glock to be very colored.

Mike

14. IMO both Eden and SWR are coloured. EBS is pretty flat though... Eden is more tube coloured i guess is the best way to describe it...(warm).

15. I find SWR, Eden and EBS to be very colored. I use a Euphonic head and cab, and it is very clear. If you are going to play an EA though, you better have a good sounding bass, because it is going to reproduce exactly what your bass sounds like.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Good technique helps, too!

17. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    There are a bunch of relatively neutral sounding amps out there - many of which have been mentioned above. I really like the highs on the Walter Woods Ultra. I've yet to find "clean and clear" done better than with a Millennia TD-1 in SS mode.

18. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I'd have to agree. We also had Bobby Vega testing amps in our booth at NAMM a couple of weeks ago. He said our amps are less colored than Glock.

Anyway....hi-fi amps:
    EA
    EBS
    Epi

19. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I would say ebs...the hd350 is very clean and clear. eden and swr can give you a really clean sound, but they are definitely more colored than the ebs. eden adds a little warmth to the tone and the swr sounds a bit scooped...

20. I found SWR to be fairly uncoloured, but, i spose i was compairing it to an SVT, n i jus said it was "pretty" hi fi