Cleveland OH area Luthier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5 String, Sep 17, 2005.

1. 5 String

5 String

Aug 25, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Can anyone recommend a luthier for both basses & guitars in the Cleveland, OH area. I have not been in this area long, & when I bought my son a new bass a couple months back, I took it to one of the local music stores for a "professional" set-up, not one of my "backyard" ones, I was rather disappointed with the results. The top of the nut, is higher than the strings & this is why I'm thinking the strings, TI Flats, have no life to them, even though they were new strings put on during the setup.

Thanks much.
  2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Sodja Music Store in Richmond Heights on the east side (Wilson Mills Rd.) has a good setup guy. As does Heights Guitar on Lee or South Taylor Rd.(I can't remember which road it's on...they are next to each other.) in East Cleveland. I'm not really familiar with the west and south side of Clevo. I haven't found many true Luthiers here in Clevo yet. But I'm searching! There's John Hill who makes basses, but I'm not sure if he repairs too. Plus he wants like 4K for his instruments....not really worth it in my opinion. they are nice basses, but not THAT nice!! There's also Puwar Guitars...but he's only made guitars so far. I may hit him up for a bass project, though. Both those makers have websites that you can Google. Hope this helps!
  3. endlessbassic

Dec 23, 2004
    Try Timeless Guitars in Parma.. good guys. Not exactly West Side, but well worth the trip. It's been a few years since i've been there (and even more since i lived in Cleveland), but good lord willin' they're still there.
    ..on Pearl Rd. i believe.. ask for Clyde. Best o' luck!
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Jon Hill does do repairs and setups at normal prices.

I got a Hill Custom bass a couple years back- it was a little over $3k for a six-string elite neck-through- the $4k is just the list price for the top of the line ones. They are a bit pricey, but not too bad.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    When I lived in the area before 1991, I used Virgil Lay in Akron. None better in the area. However, he was quite old and I don't know if he's around anymore.

BTW: He's the owner of "SIT" brand strings . . . or at least he was in the beginning.
  6. neverdidlikeit

Aug 5, 2005
    heights guitar is in cleveland heights (hometown rep!), not east cleveland.
  7. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Dave Russel in hudson ohio set up my custom warmoth (drilled body neck- made the nut, wired the pickups, wired the piezos) and I've been very pleased. Pm me if you want to get in touch with him.