1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleveland Orchestra Audition

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by BMason, May 15, 2011.

1. BMason

BMason

Oct 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Audition's this week. Keep us updated, Talkbass.

2. The players I've met in Cleveland's bass section are really nice guys. I know it's about how well you play but I hope whoever wins is a nice guy or gal as well.

3. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    I hope that they pick the meanest bass player out there, who can't play! Every section needs its black sheep!haha

4. BMason

BMason

Oct 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I hope whoever they choose likes dogs because I've heard there's an disproportional number of cat people in the CO. Hope this was taken into account when choosing the committee.

5. WAY

WAY

Jun 22, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    This is hilarious! Did you know there isn't a screen?

6. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    No hire

7. rogue4

rogue4

May 31, 2010
    Are those guys mean?

8. NotACello

NotACello

Oct 11, 2006
    new york city!
    probably just cat people.

9. mdwallace

mdwallace

Apr 1, 2010
    New York City
    Blake, you're joking right? Please tell me you're joking.

10. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    Yeah man, It was a no hire, bummer right!?

11. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Dumb.
    The Met has a must-hire policy, and they have assembled one of the finest orchestras in the world.
    Also, auditions are totally blind, and the conductor's vote counts for no more than anyone else's.

12. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Wow... That is very interresting. So where do they go from here?

13. bobbo630

bobbo630

Apr 7, 2009
    If you don't invite anyone to your audition, how can you expect it to be successful?

Nice fail Dimoff.

14. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I was told by someone auditioning that they had over 100 applicants and invited just under 40 musicians.

15. grundley

grundley

Sep 5, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    Since when is that Principal Bass from Detroit not good enough for Cleveland's bass section???

Mr. Bobbo is right about Dimoff....

Cleveland = FAIL

16. bcarter

bcarter

Sep 11, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Final decisions are not always left up to the principle player at auditions. From what I've heard, the music director is who it came down to in Chicago. Although I don't presume to know what happened, I would draw a conclusion that resembles the trend that many orchestras are facing.

In my last conversation with Mr. Dimoff, he expressed his concern with auditions like Chicago and, though I won't quote him, was very confident and excited about finding a winner in the upcoming Cleveland audition.

17. grundley

grundley

Sep 5, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    Bobbo is not talking about FINAL round auditions... he/she is talking about simply NOT inviting more qualified candidates to the audition.

Although, if Alexander Hanna AND Charlie Nilles (2/3 finalists) can't win the job, who can???

18. bcarter

bcarter

Sep 11, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    I was addressing your comment, not Bobbo's, hence my quoting your statement. And you were talking about the final round.

As for the resume round, I would trust members of the section, including Mr. Dimoff, to pick the most qualified applicants to audition. Although I'm a little confused at the outcome of the audition and it's a shame when good players don't get hired, they are well versed in what they do.

I really hate repeating myself, but maybe it wasn't up to Mr. Dimoff in the end. Music Directors, for example Muti in Chicago, have a pretty heavy vote.

Can anyone inform us of what Berlin or the Met's practices are for auditions?

19. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    The Met:
    Completely blind.
    Must hire.
    No one has veto power.
    No one has a weighted vote.
    The conductor's vote is just another committee vote.
    As told to me by a member of the audition committee.

20. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Glad I never took this path with bass. :cool: