Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cleveland TalkBass Get-togehter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've been adding TB members from Cleveland and the surrounding Ohio area to my buddy list, and I've noticed that there's enough to comprise a good-sized TB Cleveland. It's getting warmer out, and it'd be nice to get out and meet some new folks (and paw each other's gear ;) ). So anyone up for it? Anyone have a good location to meet at? Any imput at all would be great. Thanks.

2. I moved from Cleveland 19 years ago, down to CowTown (Columbus). Maybe setting something up for all Ohio TBers would be a good idea, if it happens somewhere in central Ohio no one would have more than 2 hours drive time (one way...). Just a thought...

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's fine with me; I mentioned Cleveland though as most Ohio TB members are from there. If this does come together, then I imagine the location will be either majority rules or whoever can come up with the best space to meet and play.

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Word! I'm down, but we should figure out where and when. Where are Larry Kaye and RS? (I know where they are physically, but they should post!!!)

5. Someone was talking about putting together an OH meeting last winter (around Xmas I think), but I don't know if it ever happened or not.

Maybe somewhere in the middle? I could do Columbus, but Cinci to Cleveland is just too far for a weekend trip.

*am done whining now*

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Sounds good to me. Cleveland and Columbus are about equal distances away for me...but I am a little more familiar with Columbus.

7. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Im still a teenager, turning 16 in a few months. So it would have to be in Cleveland for me to come. If its easier for guys to goto columbus thats cool. All i got is a crappy squier anyways. Would be nice to meet you guys though. :)

8. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    sounds good to me.

let me know.

craig:)

9. So far, it looks like someplace central is getting the votes (sorry, darkspec... Maybe you would be able to hitch a ride with one of the other Cleveland folks). That is just my offhand count though, maybe a more official poll to keep it honest would be appropriate. I must admit that having it nearer to Columbus appeals to my lazier side...:p

What is the prefered type of meeting location? Parks are easily available, but make weather and electricity issues (especially if people do bring goodies to show off). Indoor locations generally have a cost. If this does end up somewhere central, I'd be happy to scout locations (whichever type is chosen).

10. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Maybe we can meet in Mansfield or Ashland 1/2 way. How many other Clevelanders do we have. Bob Miller is here too.

L

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, maybe we should each state our specific locations so we have a good idea of how far everyone has to travel. I'm in Strongsville, which is apparently the West Side, right off of Pearl and Whitney. And indoor would be best I imagine, as it would avoid problems due to weather and allow everyone to bring whatever gear they wanted to.

12. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Is there any sort of consensus yet?
    I'm an eastsider, Shaker Hts. How many of us are Cleveland/Akron, how many are Columbus area, how many are Cinci/Dayton, and how may are etc? We may want to figure out the majority then base the meeting spot from that.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Im in NW Ohio.....a little south of Toledo. If I come, I hope Bob Miller makes it. I bought my amp off of him. Great guy!

14. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I'd be down for an Ohio TB meeting. I'm in Oberlin, about 30 miles southwest of Cleveland. Cleveland would be best for me. Although I don't know my way around Mansfield or Columbus I would be willing to travel to either place if they garner enough votes.

15. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Unless there are TBers in Mansfield or the other cities mentioned, the gathering either needs to be at someones house or a rented area. I seriously doubt mansfield has a Party Center or anything, let alone the fact that it would cost some dough and there doesn't seem to be more than 10 of us(?).

Who lives in Columbus and would host?
    Who lives anywhere and would host?

These are questions that need answering.

16. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What about meeting at a designated music store in columbus, here, or ?. That and getting a meal together might work. Maybe a store could set us up someone too.

I'm sure Sam Ash wouldn't mind the publicity. I know they have a store on Morse? rd in Columbus too. They usually have a bass only type of room. Maybe they would consider hosting an all Ohio talk bass get together on a Saturday?

LKaye

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's a pretty good idea. There's also the Sam Ash on the east side of Cleveland that's pretty deserted most of the time, and has its own bass room. If it wasn't so far away, I'd say Buddy Roger's Music up in Cincinnatti, just to try out the Bergantinos :D I'm fine with going to Columbus as well; I don't drive so I'll just hitch a ride from my girlfriend.

18. There are both Sam Ash and a Guitar Center on Morse Rd. in Columbus, but neither is particularly friendly. The former is across from the now-defunct Northland Mall. Both treat customers as probable criminals both on the way in and on the way out. My personal shop of choice is German Village Music Haus, but there isn't a lot of room or parking. I would offer to host, but my wife and I have a lot of work to do on the house... We are between Westerville and New Albany on the northeast side of Columbus.

Bryan, since you are in Strongsville (I grew up (or at least aged a bit... :p ) in Brecksville), do you know if Mario's Music Villa is still around?

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've never seen it and it's not in the phone book, so probably not. Although it might be around under a different name now. Do you remember the address?

20. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Driving 4 1/2 hours to Cinci is not in the realm of reality guys. I really would like to see how many cleveland guys can get together, again maybe at a little more "friendly" Sam Ash store or maybe at Woodsy's...they have some nice equipment there too?

Then maybe the Cinci and Columbus group could meet at Buddy Rogers which also carries AccuGroove too!!

I mean, I don't do 4 1/2 drives even with my wife any more unless it's a "required" family event!!

lkaye