1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cleveland x2?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by thedbman4265, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I thought that the prelims were supposed to be today. Does anyone know how that turned out?

2. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    Derek Zadinsky won! YEAAAA BOYYYYYEEEEE

3. MonodyII

MonodyII

Mar 12, 2007
    Any word on what strings won the audition for him? Trying to figure out the winning formula.

4. I think the winning formula is to practice your ass off, get into a great school and study with a great teacher, practice your ass off some more and then hope to maybe be just a little bit better at the audition than all the others who have done exactly the same thing. Bel cantos are also a good bet.

5. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Wait, I'm confused, Cleveland is deffinatly hiring Derek then?

6. DragonettiBob

DragonettiBob

Jan 18, 2012
    Bloomington
    What? I was sure that Charlie would have at least gotten a trial since he was in good standing last audition. Does anyone know when Zadinksy's trial period starts? I would definitely drive up from IU to see those concerts and observe if it truly was a fair fight. Does anyone else think it was kind of a quick run at an audition seeing as they started it at 2pm and only had two rounds?

7. DPBass

DPBass

Jan 18, 2012
    Denver, CO
    sorry, is this a school audition thread? are we talking about CIM?

8. UnityBass

UnityBass

Jan 18, 2012
    NYC,NY
    I thought Derek went to Curtis, but I heard CIM has only one spot in Max's studio this year. Did he get it? I thought school's generally let you know in April, or at least that was the case last year when I applied.

9. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    Both of the guys have been subbing with cleveland, there as per my understanding will be no trial weeks, he was given the position outright he was in the same boat as charlie, they both had previously made the finals. Derek was using all spirocore orchestral, though there is no formula because basses are radically different, I would say if you have a cushy sounding bass bright strings would be okay, but they wouldnt work on every bass!

10. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    This was for a position in the Cleveland Symphony

11. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    Congrats to them! Another huge win for Curtis. Time to update the audition winners list?

And yeah, this is for the Cleveland Orchestra spots, not for CIM. Those auditions are a ways away (mine is next month..)

12. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    So just to confirm, only Derek won a spot, or Derek and Charlie Nilles both won spots?

13. mattgray

mattgray

Nov 16, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    they will both be playing on the same stool with a line drawn in the middle, in a V-esque formation.

14. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Do you mean Bel Cantos?

15. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    I mean that spirocores are great for countering a tubby sounding bass, where as I have found new basses sound pretty good with belcantos.

16. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Are you saying he used Bel Cantos or are you saying he used another Thomastik string on his bass? I am a bit confused.
    I have used reds extensively on my english bass with great success. BCs kind of blow IMHO any which way I have tried them, new OR old bass.

17. fendt1820

fendt1820

May 3, 2006
    philadelphia
    Derek is using an old set of spiros that Hal gave him. He is using an old english bass for the year, and wanted to brighten up the sound a bit. It has a dark sound although pretty clear in the hall. Derek is very deserving of the position, and is a great player.

18. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Yeah, it's dark and smooth. I can see why spiros would work. The older the better!

BG

19. Derek Zadinsky is also auditioning for the principal chair for the Chicago Symphony.

20. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    Not surprising...