Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clever repair

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Apr 22, 2001.

1. LoL, you guys will prolly yell at me.. but yesterday after playing for an hour... I hear this loud BOOM from my amp so so I shut it in fear of blowing it. I turn it back and plug back into the head.. there's the boom again.. I shut it off.. after 10 min of checking out my amp.. I open up the back of my bass... Crap! one of the wire to the jack is broken off! Crap times two! I don't have a soddering gun(or whatever)! Damn that loose jack! I looked around for something to use... *light bulb* I get this really good tape. First I strip a little bit of the plastic so there's more of the wire exposed. I tape it on really nice. Everything is better now! :D But.. one thing.. HOW DO YOU KEEP THE JACK FROM GETTING LOOSE?!

...and that's my story. :D

2. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Remove the jack and clean the threads on the socket and the nut, resolder that lead in place.

Get yourself some Locite threadlock. Make sure everything is nice and clean, put the jack back into place. Find someway of stopping the jack from rotating. Put a small amount of loctite on the threads of the nut. Screw it down good and tight (which is why you need to stop the jack from rotating) and leave it for an hour or two !

If you wanted to be really smart before you resolder the cable you could get a little bit of heat-shrink wrapping and slide it over the lead. Then once you've re-soldered it slide the heat-shrink over the tag and use a hairdryer to shrink it over it. Then if your jack does move the strain won't be on the joint it should just flex the cable.

Its not a big job if you have used a soldering iron before but if you haven't find someone who has and ask them to do it for you.

3. now that was one of the most intelligent things I've heard here.. hehe :D thanks!