Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cliche bass suggestion time!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Oct 6, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Im looking to get the director of the music dept in my school to buy some more equipment. Among these items, is of course, a bass. Im looking for something 4-string and freakin durable. It should also be kickass. lookin to spend around 500-700 new. I was just browsing through an old musicians friend catalogue and wrote down a Geddy Lee, a Fender Jazz, and a Lakland 55-01... but I want a 4-string. I hear the Lakland is really a great deal.. I assume theres a 4-string model of equal worth? Other suggestions?

2. the geddy lee would be a good one imo, or you could just get a nice SX and pocket the rest of the money ;)

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    If it's gonna be the school's bass, I would look for something I wouldn't miss too much when I had to give it up at graduation. Or if a better bass player comes along and the director decides HE'S the one. :p

4. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Standard Fender Jazz (MIJ), or maybe spring for one of the Precision ones that have the P/J combination.

5. Fender Deluxe Jazz? I'm a little biased though.

I was being judged at a competition and the judge said on the tape "I love that bass, crank it up!"

...Here I am thinking that I'm TOO loud. :p

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A DP Custom, perhaps?

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    For a situation like that I'd suggest a good ol' Jazz or P bass. For a school setting which could be anything from pep band to jazz or pit-band for a school play, and the P & J would fit the bill. It's a standard, looks great in most settings and is a good bass for players of all skill levels. Besides, you don't want to get off the beaten path by too far for a publicly used piece of gear.

8. for school band I recomend a G&L Tribute

I've played mine with 3 different ensembles (Marching Band, Jazz, and Concert) and its worked well for all of them.

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I say keep it simple. If it’s a new bass yr looking for and considering yr price range I say go with a MIM Fender Jazz. Then again, you could always score a used American Fender Jazz as well. Why a Fender? Because Fender P and J basses are fairly universal instruments that a student will likely encounter again be it the real thing or a copy. Between the J and P bass I say go with the J because the neck is a bit more user friendly and its tonally more versatile. Yes, Laklands are wonderful and the Skyland series has great bang for the buck; but then yr getting into an active preamp with the whistles and bells that come with it. Why make such a fuss in a school setting? Fender Jazz, simple, effective, and still pretty cool.

r

10. Consider an SX.. Something easily replaced and cheap.. Sometimes, instruments tend to sprout legs and walk out on their down and its better if a $100 bass is lost than a $700..

Plus, SX basses are great basses for the money and get the job done..

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Lakland 44-01. Also, buy used.

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Most of the schools in my area go with the Fender Mustang. Great for littler developing hands. Or, may I suggest, a straight forward P-Bass or J-Bass. Keep away from copies or cheapies. They will not stand up the the torture they will get.

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Off the top of my head (ones I've played) and without carefully looking through prices...

Top two-
    MIM P
    MIM J

If you wanna be fancy-
    G&L Tribute L2000
    Lakland Skyline 44-01

Just echoing others.
    Marshall

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    MIM J5-i don't think my old high school would buy a 4, the band directors have had 5 string players for the past 7-8 years [with our own gear].

Another brand i'd look into is either Dean or Alvarez.

That's all

15. Cha ching!

16. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Don't get anything active. Stay passive, because the hassle of trying to keep a live battery in an instrument that is going to be used by multiple students is just plain not worth it. A passive lakland would be a good purchase. A Fender Jazz is also a good suggestion. Get the geddy or the 60's Jazz.

17. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    clever

18. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Its not like theres a lot of bass players in my school. The way it usually works is that theres one good bass player, and he/she (she??) would take over the position for 1-2 years.. so its not like many people would be playing it. I dont want a p/j because I always like my J's in the neck position.

Im really interested in getting something a little nicer like a Lakland or a Ric (I know of a used one which is pretty mint.. going for 700). Perhaps 1 in every 4 of these bass players would actually give a rats ass, anyways. Most of them are standard over-acheiver double bass players, anyways.

19. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have a soft spot for a Ric but in terms of functionality, go with the Lakland if it MUST be one of the two. Otherwise I still say, go with a basic Fender Jazz.

20. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    An EBMM SUB is going to fulfill the durability factor. You could go active or passive, Stingray or Sterling. Might be pushing the budget new, unless you find a dealer with a soft spot for music programs.