Click Clack on my Laklands E string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ScottyBoy, Nov 9, 2005.

1. I just had a new Lakland 55-01 shipped to me - it was 2 weeks in transent without the neck attached. (im in Australia)
    I put it all together last night - I was amazed how low the action was - exactly how i like it. The fretboard is almost perfectly flat (maybe thats my problem?).
    Everything is sweet except for the E string - it clicks on most notes that I play (seems to be clicking on the frets above where the fretting finger is). By the way I have good technique and play very lightly .
    I am thinking that becuase all other strings are fine (including the B) that maybe I shouldn't adjust the truss rod and just up the string a little on the E at the saddle. I am not sure if I need more relief with the truss.

Does changing the saddle sound like the best thing to do?
  2. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    for sure.
  3. I'd go ahead and raise that E saddle and see how she plays. It could be the neck might settle in a bit more and give you more relief.
    Your post didn't mention anything about you adjusting the truss after you put the bass together, and so I'm assuming the neck was shipped to you without having the truss loosened. If you put a neck on, tighten the strings to pitch, and have a mostly-flat neck, I'll guarantee the neck had a backbow before string tension was put on it. I had my strings off for 45 minutes the other night, and I had to wait until morning before it settled back in.

How's the action on the E at the higher frets? That's usually a quick indicator of truss tension. If the action isn't much different than the lower frets, you usually have a straight neck with very little relief.

4. Yep, it was shipped without the truss rod loosened and i havent adjusted it. It did settle a bit overnight and was better in the morning. The action is really low at the lower frets but as you get higher it raises a little but still low.