1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Click-clack sound from Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreggBummer, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I'm voting the treble knob is turned up too high. My guitarist has a pretty nice MM or Sterling 4 string with active pre-amp and passive/active toggle.. and I was getting more clickity clack than i was used to last time I was playing it.

Rolling the highs off a bit on the bass got rid of it.

P.S. the bass I mentioned has a wonderful setup, feels great to play, just really sensitive to string noise when the treble's boosted too much.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Rabidhamster and waynobass like this.
  2. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Another option to getting rid of the strings hitting the upper frets is to try and pluck closer to the bridge. I think the key is to make the clacks consistent... all clack or no clack, I generally clack.

3. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    Your action is too low, I actually like a little clack, by guitarist is crazy about it, raise your action a little.

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I wonder if maybe you need a bit more neck relief..? Especially if you dig in hard.

5. Funny you say that... when I roll back on the treble knob, the clacking becomes much less pronounced.

And I am too heavy handed. I freely admit that.

6. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    No such thing, IMHO! ;)

dr doofie likes this.
  7. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Could be and, cab, etc also.

Change preamp.

8. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    This. It's not the string you're plucking.

Plucking closer to the bridge helps too.

9. Kaplan

Kaplan

Jul 25, 2018
    Germany
    THIS!
    It's a general Problem with rest stroke vs. free stroke technique. I found it out when I damped the string below for test purpose ... no click anymore.

Cave Puppy and BassikBrad like this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Aren't the 2-band preamps EQ controls boost only? You may be on to something, here.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Between the two of them, I always liked Click better.

Fresh Eddie and GreggBummer like this.
  12. This is interesting. I will look into this. Thank you.

Cave Puppy likes this.
  13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I can attest to this as I have this issue too on a few of my other basses, most notably the E and A string. If I dig in too much playing rest stroke (which I do), it's the string behind it that's clicking. Want a sure fire way to see if that's the problem? Take the string off and try it.

BassikBrad likes this.
  14. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I agree. I dont want to criticize the OP at all but, the combination of how hard he is hitting along with it just being a bright bass is likely causing it. When I got my Stingray and played it alone at home, i was worried because it had a bright "clank" sound. However, when I play it with my band...it sounds so good. I have to dial back the treble a little, but it reminds me of a P bass (not how it sounds, but how it really shines in a band mix vs playing it solo)

15. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    My MM Stingray is the same with EB slinky strings. Those pickups are very bright and bring that out.
    I have a 3 band EQ so I back off treble a hair and boost bass an mids and it sounds great for fingerstyle.
    In the mix you really won’t hear it, on your own it’s kind of clicky but that’s part of the Stingray sound.

16. When you adjust the truss rod, it mainly affects between the nut and 12th fret. So I check by fretting the first fret and 12th fret and look for space under the string around the 5th-6th fret. Then I fret the 12th fret and the very highest fret (21?-22?) and look for space under the string around the 15th-17th frets. If you have space there, then you are starting to get a ski-jump that many fender-type bolt on necks get (truss rod doesn't fix that area) that can give you extra clank as the strings hit those upper frets.

17. I once got fired from a band because the singer couldn't stand my MM Stingray's click clacks. (It happens more when you play closer to the neck)

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Turn the treble down?

19. After 35 yrs of playing and working in studios I know how to eq a bass. Now, while a Stingray sounds awesome it is a one trick poney and did not fit my style of playing. You got to play with your hand in the sweet-spot. if you play close to the neck, a la Jamerson, it makes a lot of those click clacks. I mostly use Jazz and P style of basses now. It works better for me.

Stumbo likes this.
  20. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I have the same problem when really getting with it. I'm sure it's a combination of pick up and string height.
    I used to have audience members come to tell me about it in which case it has to be the strings hitting the pick ups. But I never did anything about it other than lighten up on my attack.