Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

click clack

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by moped10, Jun 17, 2003.

1. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Hi guys, this is question for the occasional slappers- One of the groups I play with is now adding some bouncey numbers to the set which neccessitate the use of the slap technique- A couple of them are a bit high tempo- Anyway, my action's at around 11mm on the G (I play with no amp most of the time and also like to keep my walking solid with few frills), and I have Obligatos on the D and G and Superflexibles on the A and E. On the faster numbers, I'm having a hard time catching the skinny diameter G- Are Obligatos not recommended for this technique, or do I just need to practice more? I don't want to switch to a string that makes my pizz tone suffer, but if there one out there that is easier to slap, I'd like to try it out- (my string drawer is going to need a mate soon :rolleyes: )

2. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    I forgot you guys aren't into slap questions...

3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    i dig slap but I don't play it, so I couldn't tell you. My G string is at about 6-7, and I always had a heck of a time getting under it when I tried. But I never wanted to sacrifice my low action or install an adjustable bridge to learn slap, and that's why I don't play slap. I think at 11 or so it should be easier, but I've heard loads of slap players prefer gut strings over the ones you mention.

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  5. moped 10

I have Obligatos on my bass. I play mostly bluegrass, a little folk rock and arco. I am working my way through Marshall Wilburn's Slap bass video. It is oriented to acoustic music. My bass has a lower action but seems to slap well with the obligatos as they are a lower tension string. I would hang in there and keep practicing.

As always, YMMV.

Blessings

Keith

6. Moped, I use a full set of Velvet Garbos, which are pretty fat compared to steels, and a medium action of 6mm under the G. I play jazz, and also rockabilly on occasion, and can slap without any worries. I know this does'nt really answer your question, but I reckon Garbos are great strings, they're easy to slap on. If you want to keep the strings you've got, then practice, practice, practice...:bassist: