Click Here

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Well, I need your advice people. When I am playing, sometimes if I'm really grooving fast, I find that my style with my right hands is always kind of like this....

lay your hand flat against all strings (i have 4) and adjust them so that your fingertips are just where they are perfect for "brushing" the string almost, then angle your hand to "a very close to the strings type angle" and play. I use every finger at the same time except my thumb and pinky. my question is, is this style bad to use, what are the advantages and disadvantages and so on i guess, thanks for your time.
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I really don't understand what you're saying. :confused:

"adjust them so your fingertips are just where they are perfect for brushing the strings" ??

"a very close to the strings type angle" ??

Could you clarify that?

And, you use every finger at the same time? You pluck using all three fingers at once?

BTW, this is a technique Q.
  3. i have two hands one right one left, sorry for the spelling errors. I have 4 strings, when I said I had 4 I was trying to avoid JTor someone not being able to play the way I do with his 7. The angle is close to the strings, but not close enough to mute them or muffle any sound, and have your fingertips just a centimeter or so past each string when you play it as to not rip the string right off the instrument you know? just enough to pluck the string I guess.
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm still waiting on my copy of the rule book that outlines what is allowed and what isn't in bass playing - when somebody gets ahold of the rule book we can look this up, untill then lets just keep going by what the player enjoys and feels comfortable with, and what sounds good...

If I'm picturing this correctly you could be compared to John Entwistle - That could be a good thing if your ego thrives on cheesy comparisons to famous people or a bad thing if your playing doesn't back it up - it could also be a non-issue if you are a strong individual who doesn't put too much stock in what others say...

Your welcome. I wich more people would recognise how valuable my time really is............
  5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Yeah, definitely a technique thing......

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  6. If it sounds good and feels comfortable to you, well, just do it! :)