1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Click tracks? Just the drummer or everyone??

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by StraffordMike, May 1, 2017.

1. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    I'm auditioning for the worship band at my church this Thursday. They play using a click track and from what I understand everyone gets it in their monitor mix, but when i mention it to guys I know playing out they say only the drummer should get that and everyone follows him.
    Opinions??

2. Icemanaroonie

Icemanaroonie

Sep 6, 2015
    Delaware
    It's personal preference. If the drummer is good enough to play consistently to a click, I'd take it out of my monitor.

StraffordMike likes this.
  3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    There is no hard an fast rule. When I am in the studio everyone in the band plays to a click track. Live, we follow the drummer. Whatever works for everyone is the way to do it and if you have the ability to mute or lower the click in your IEMs and that works for you then go for it.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    yep, personal preference.. In our secular band, only the drummer gets it.. he runs it.. It's NOT fed to the IEM's.
    In our church bands, the main worship center works the same as my secular band.
    In the youth center, the drummers are often young and inexperienced, so the click gets fed to the Avioms. You have the choice of muting it, or adjusting to taste. :)

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    If you're playing with it live, I'd say just the drummer. If used as a rehearsal tool to help curb unwanted tempo changes, I'd say the whole band.

Last night at rehearsal we were having big problems maintaining tempo. Everything was speeding up. I suggested we try one song with a click, and I ran it through the PA so everyone could hear it. It was a HUGE help. We struggled at first but eventually were able to lock in and even though we only did it for one song, it helped us identify what speeding up vs playing a steady tempo feels like, and which things we each do as players that make us prone to speeding up (for me it was fills). The whole rest of the night our tempo was way steadier.

6. I find, especially when recording live from the floor, and/or in less than optimum sound environments, it really helps keep everyone on the same page, so to speak.

My son’s band was having problems staying on the rails until I put them all on a click, and it tightened things right up.

StraffordMike and And I like this.
  7. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    If it's live and you're using wedges instead of IEM , I say drummer only.
    If everybody is IEM : whoever wants it.

Not very nice for people in front to hear from the wedges " tic toc toc toc , tic toc toc toc...."

s0c9 likes this.
  8. Gatlin

Gatlin

Sep 22, 2016
    Ellisville, MS
    I run the click tracks in our worship team and everyone gets it in their mix (click, guide, and backing parts per song). We also use it for backing in front of house. Most weeks I add rythm guitar to our foh mix from the backing tracks as we only have acoustics on stage. I personally like everyone having the click and it seems to help us on stage.

9. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Especially if the song is in 6/8!

As far as the click, whateger works. There's no hard and fast rule.

I prefer to hear the click but don't have to. If I don't hear the click then I play a mental game and pretend the drummer is a drum machine and stick to him like sh*t on a stick, for better or worse. IMO "tight" is better than "metronomically perfect". If that makes sense.

Last edited: May 10, 2017