Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CLICK!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oysterman, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm not sure whether I should put this in Setup or Pickups, but here goes:

My Yamaha TRB-5 is a lovely bass, but it has one thing I really don't think I like. Whenever I accidentally tap on the pickups, they give a "click" kind of sound. And it's not the discreet little "click", no, it's a beefy, loud, penetrating "CLICK!!". I have found that, coming from a passive Fender, I have to adjust my technique and become more of a disciplined player - which I guess is a good thing. But still I can't stop wondering WHY Yamaha designed the bass to act like this - is there really a good reason?

And, my main question, is there a way around this?

2. Uh...Don't touch the pickups? :)

Seriously though, does it happen when you touch the pup cover? That could mean that there's a broken wire but it should have shown up in all kinds of ways. It's got to be electrical though I don't have any more of an idea what else it could be.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If only one pickup is doing this, there's probably a loose winding in there somewhere that's generating some microphonic noise. Have the pickup properly potted or get it replaced. If both pickups are doing this, then Yamaha most likely intended them to sound that way. Try (1) lowering the pickup height or raising the action; (2) cutting the treble on the preamp; (3) playing with a lighter touch; (4) selling the instrument.