Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clickety Sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, May 23, 2005.

1. Just put new DR Hi beams on my p-bass....is there a way to get rid of that click sound that these new strings have? Something not too outlandish like rubbing butter on them or something. or is time the best way?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Just keep playing them even when you're not plugged in. Play random stuff for no reason when your bass is near just to accelerate the wear on the bass.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  4. One thing, at least you like the sound of dead strings, this is much cheaper than liking the sound of the living ;)

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Only time. DR Stainless Steel strings have a much longer lifespan than any other string I've used. They degrade in tone at an absolute minimum curve. They'll keep that new string tone for about 10-20 hours of play. Then they'll keep an average string tone for months of play.

It's something I've always loved about DRs. All I have to do to get that new string sound is boost the treble a teeny bit once they've mellowed out and they sound just as good, if not better and smoother.

-Eric.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I use DRs on my fender jazz. I roll off the highs a little with the tone knob to get rid of the clacky sounds when they are new. Like Eric said, over time they will lose that naturally but they are very long lasting strings (which is what I love about them). IMO if you are going to do something like rub butter or nose grease on those strings then you might as well get a different kind of nickel string. IMO nickel naturally doesnt click as much as stainless steel.

7. I quite like the clicky sound; and it helps guitarists keep in time.