Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Clicking" Ibanez ATK pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Feb 29, 2004.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, we (my band) are currently working on our first album, and we've finished recording the basis of most our songs. All of the basic tracks were recorded live.

When we checked the bass tracks, we noticed that my playing was pretty "noisy" and there were loads of terribly loud "CLICK!" noises on the bass tracks, which were causing terrible peaks.

During an extra recording session, we found out the reason for the annoying clicks. I play fingerstyle and a bit of slap and tend to dig in pretty hard, and we found out that whenever my fingers touched the pickup during play, my bass would "click".
    This occured most frequently when I played on the B string and used muting techniques.

Eventually, we discovered that lowering the pickup height improved things a little.

Now, do you think that those clicks indicate that my ATK's pickup needs replacement,
    or do you think they're the result of my ineptitude or bad technique? I consider myself a rather good player, except I don't really have a lot of recording experience.
    Sure, I've already recorded a bunch of tracks with the same bass, but back then, I didn't have any "clicking" problems whatsoever.

What do you think? Have you ever had problems with "clicking" pickups? Any kind of input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive experienced the clicking when touching a pickup with several basses that ive played. Not sure what it was though. Someone around here will know...im certain.

3. when the bass is plugged in there is a magnetic field between the pups and strings, now i could be *totally* off here, but maybe when the stirng hits the pup, the click is cuased by the string conducting electrcity from the pup?

as far as your playing goes, if feels good, go for it - the pups were either too high in the first place, or you are digging in too much.

;) :bassist:

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I had a problem with clicking on my Fender when I first got it. Just took a little more concentration when muting or playing hard to not push the string down to the pickup. Since then I've learned to play softer and turn the volume up. You may find you have better results doing that. It gives you better intonation for sure. If you want to play hard though, then yeah, just lower those pups and blast away.

5. you could also put a stripe of tape across the poles - a pain to clean up, isn't very classy looking either but it does work, and I found next t no volume/tone loss - but I would assume there will be. :)

6. dunivan

dunivan

Jul 3, 2003
    Ft. Myers, FL
    endorsing artist: knucklehead strings
    i tend to dig in, and i find that you can hear my finger strokes when i play back the record...not so many clicks, but definite finger strokes...is their anyway to counteract this?

dunivan