1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clicking (not hitting pickups or frets)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wRaith, Apr 15, 2006.

1. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey all.

My bass has recently started clicking. Now, it's not from hitting the strings into the pole pieces, it's not when I put my fingers on the strings (ie grounding problem) and it's not fret noise. Even when my bass is just sitting there with the amp on, no fingers on strings at all, I get a steady, even clicking, ticking noise (like a metronome) through my amp. I play a Yamaha RBX170 through a Behringer BX800. Don't start on the amp, I know it's coming from the bass because my delay pedal makes the click repeat if I put it in.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problem.

Cheers.

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    If the bass is active, it may be the battery. You could also be getting some interference from something else in the room like a computer.

3. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Bass is passive, I'll try turning the TV and computer off and see how that goes.

4. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    The bass has stopped making the noise now (next morning). Thanks for the help, it was the TV I think.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Rock on!

6. Andy73

Andy73

Aug 12, 2005
    So Cal
    Do you have a new watch? That happened to me. If I got my watch anywhere close to my pickups, my bass would start "ticking" with every move of the second hand.

7. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    solution = wearing watch on left hand!

8. Do you live an area where someone might have an electric fence? We were doing a recording in a "home studio" (read: drummer's basement) once and experienced a mysterious click on a lot of our playbacks. Finally we traced it down to his grandparents' electric fence (plugged in a quarter mile away). We would have to periodically check for free roaming cattle whenever we were recording.

Ah, the pleasures of Tennessee. . .