Clicking sound in a GK MB500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aproud1, Sep 22, 2016.

1. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Noticed at practice last week a slight clicking sound but chocked it up to the not so great PA rig where we practice. Noticed it tonight but louder. Coming from my GK amp. Not through the amp into the speakers. Something in the chassis. First thought was something in the fan but the frequency is to low for that. I was looking at the amp and pressed down on the top rear part of the chassis and it was subdued. Nothing noticeably loose. Maybe the fan mount? No loose screws externally. Very strange.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this and if so, I could fix it myself? Not an expert but comfortable with electronics.

Filling out a factory service request now and have no doubt GK will take care of me. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue?

Amp still works fine. Just worrisome mechanical noise.

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I've never heard a noise/sound like that from my MB 200, 500 or 800. If it was a cyclic mechanical type of sound (as opposed to random arching type electrical sound) I'm guessing it's quite likely to be fan related. Realistically if there was nothing coming through the speakers and it was a mechanical clicking noise, there's nothing else other than the fan that has moving parts that I'm aware of.

If the noise stopped when the cab vibrations from playing stopped, it could be a wire or something similar that needs to be re-positioned/re-secured or something loose like a screw or the fan mounting you already thought of. Based on my past experience these are the most likely culprits, and while annoying, the good news is that the amp itself still plays fine - always a good sign!

GK has always given excellent customer support to me and those I know, so you're certainly in good hands with them. Best of luck!

3. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    The loose wire makes sens. Took a peek. Everything tidy in the amp. Have it hooked up to my Genzler stack and definitely am getting a hum through the amp. Same speakers, cable and power cords as my 550 which is dead quiet. No clicking but pretty sure it will start when the fan does. Definitely needs a trip to GK.

Thanks for the response Al Kraft

Al Kraft likes this.
  4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Call Jason at GK...he'll have some good insight for you. Very helpful and nice guy!

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I will. It is the fan. Finally kicked on. I did find out the Genzler bass array makes an excellent PA speaker.

6. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That's an easy fix and should put your mind at ease. The GK folks can probably direct you to a local shop to get that handled quickly. :thumbsup:

7. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    True. Whatever is causing the hum is more concerning.

8. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    If there is a problem with the fan, which is an electrical component with what would appear to be some thermal switching circuitry connected, you may find an answer to both problems right there. My experience with troubleshooting a multiple symptom situation is to always fix any confirmed problem first and then go looking for other potential causes if the other symptoms still persist. Your troubleshooting will certainly give a tech a great point to start from. Good luck!

aproud1 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021