Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

clicking sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by qsoxy, May 4, 2001.

1. qsoxy

qsoxy

May 4, 2001
    I am a beginning bassist with a dumb question: The way I pluck the bass strings, my finger pushes the string toward the fretboard before release. When I play hard, the strings tap against the fretboard and make a clicking noise that registers thru the amp. Is this an acceptable sound for rocknroll, or do I need to change the way I pluck the string to eliminate the clicking sound? For example I commonly end up making the sound during quick tremolos. Acceptable?

2. Sounds like your actions a bit high. Take it to wherever you bought it and they'll adjust it to your liking at little or no cost. Don't leave there until they show you how to do it , you might want to re-adjust it as your playing style matures and developes

3. If the strings are slapping on the fretboard during an attack , depending where on the neck he's fretting , the strength of his attack and where he actually plucks the strings....... from what I understood of his question it may be the solution ( raising the strings a bit ). Maybe not , I'd have to see the bass.......hell , maybe I'm wrong. Either way it's normally not a sound people shoot for...... maybe try playing toward the bridge more if you like digging in.

4. Yeah.... sorry about that..my bad .....I meant too low. in real life I'm not an idiot....just tired..........thanks for pointing that out..

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I get that same clicking sound. I used to get it a lot more which was too much and now its acceptable. The difference is that I got a new rig. I used to have a tinny, trebly Hartke system and now I have a thunderous and clear Mesa-Boogie system. I still play way too hard, but it works for me.

I would recommend trying various EQ settings and maybe raising your action a bit (if possible). I also use a compressor and BBE but I'm not sure if those are whats helped or not (even if they doint help the clicking they sound great).

With Korn all you hear is clicking, so dont get too anal with it.

6. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I personly dont like that sound but it acceptable.
    Its a regular feature in Steve Harris'(Iron Maiden) sound and I think he is awsome. Its actually cool in his sound because its a very "consistant" click. So its just adding a percussive effect. But if its just clicking every once in awhile that is kinda lame.
    It could be numerous things though. Too low action ,you could be playing to hard, or how you actually pluck the string. Experiment with how you pluck the string.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    From a gear-standpoint, try lowering the height of your pickups.

From a technique standpoint, try plucking so that the string moves parallel to the top, in the same plane as the other strings. It helps if you curve your RH fingers, rather than playing with a collapsed tip. Using a collapsed tip pushes the string against the fretboard and gets the string vibrating in a more perpendicular direction; hence more noise.

The clicking might actually be a bit of a psych issue. Sometimes I find myself adding percussive clicks on rests and downbeats; I have to remind myself to stop.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Which make/model bass do you have? There are "clickers" out there...I own one. Other owners of the same make/model have reported the same thing.

Having played 30+ years and having owned a few basses, I know it's not always technique/action/pup height, but those can be the causes that go undetected by a beginner such as yourself.

9. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    Yeah. I get that clicking too sometimes (usually when it'd detuned) and I kinda like it. It gives me that Fieldy-like sound. I don't like it though when I'm trying to play something that's supposed to be smooth like blues. Maybe your playing it with your hand wrong. I know if I keep my fingers more straight up and less parallel to the guitar (if that makes sense), I get less clicking.