Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThePez, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Dumb question.

Strings clicking on the neck.

Raise the action?
  2. I would think the clicking is part of the action of pressing the string to the neck. You could raise your action high enough to shoot arrows but it would still "click" when you fret a note. Some combinations of neck woods and strings seem to be louder or more pronounced than others. Something to keep in mind is that not all of what we hear as players is transmitted to the listener. We "feel" and "hear" much more noise than actually cuts through to the mix.

If you are talking about a "buzzing" do a search in the forum for fretbuzz. There's lots of discussions about what to do and not do for the condition.
  3. I need to keep the tone knob turned mostly to the bass side or I get a lot of click type noise of the strings hitting the frets. This noise does go through the amp. With the tone set to the bass side there is no clicking noise at all. Is that the click we are talking about?
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    In essence:
    Click -> Technique
    Buzz -> Setup

5. I'm talking about the string clicking on the neck on the attack (as opposed to fretting). I not playing that hard (fingerstyle), but this new bass seams to "click" alot more than my old one. So I was thinking that it was more of a setup issue than technique. It's not super loud, but it is more than I like.

I guess my original post could have been alittle clearer.
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Okay then, raising the action a bit might help you. Try it, you haven't got anything to lose, right? (except maybe intonation... ah well)
    But if you want low action for playing comfort without clicking, it's a technique issue. :)
  7. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears

How close do your strings come to your pickups when plucked. It may be that the strings are hitting the pickup or pickups, depending on the type of bass you have...This happens on both of my friends musicman basses.

you may want to check that
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It may be just what stroy said. Although, strings may look like they vibrate evenly, their movement actually varies wildly. If you look at your bass sideways as you pluck the strings, you can get some idea of how close you are coming to the pups, (pretty damn close, if not actually touching).

On the other hand, I've been playing for about 3 decades, and the bass I got last Dec. is the first in the menagerie I've owned that "clicks" and "clacks." Other owners of the same bass have noted the same thing. Your G&L is one that I have seen mentioned as a "clicker."

I know what you mean about attack. I've played mine a gently as a Sheryl Crowe and still, "click."

The only way I've been able to make it fairly unnoticeable is by tweaking the saddles, the pups, and the truss rod every which way until I found the right combination. Plus, onstage, it isn't noticeable, even run through the mains.

The other option is to call yourself, "Fieldy."
  9. Thanks for all the input.

I have checked to make sure that it's not a pick-up click. I've had that before on my Peavey. It's definatly comming from the strings hitting the upper part of neck. It's not really bad, but I think I'm gonna go have the action raised a tad later on this week. The store that I bought it from has "free setups" for life. I'm gonna take advantage of that! :)
  10. rickbass

Pez - Hope you do take advantage of their offer. The upper part of the neck is where all my clicks were coming from, too. But after tweaking it all over, I found a combination of adjustments that has pretty much made the annoyance disappear.
  11. rick- what kind of things did you have to "tweak" besides just raising the action?
  12. rickbass

The right combination for bridge saddles and truss rod, mainly, (played with those a lot).

Pup height (because of the raising/lowering of strings from saddle and truss rod adjustment): Making sure the truss rod cover was on as tightly as possible, (I know, sounds stupid, but it applies pressure to the nut on the bass I'm referring to); and I messed with the intonation screws, but I don't think they mattered much in my case, ( I messed with it only because I had a 12th fret harmonic that was sharped/flatted when the open string was in tune).

I was about ready to have it put on the bench when one last try made it fall into place, not perfectly, but reduced the number of frets where the metallic click occured and reduced it on the frets where it still did to an acceptable level.

However, April showers and summer humidity are on the way, so who knows down the line? :rolleyes:

Hope you get it worked out. I sympathize with your annoyance, having been through it, too.
  13. Thanks man. :) I'll work it out.
  14. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I like to do stuff to my guitar on my own, but every now and again I like to take it into a shop.

I know what I can do, but after a while it just needs to be done by a pro. I mean, doing it myself works most of the time, but I find some security in giving it to a guy that has been working on guitars since the fifties and has a beard just as old, along with a vocabulary to match being through the past half a century.