Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

clicking!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vortex, Jul 20, 2000.

1. Vortex

Vortex

Jul 20, 2000
    i am a finger player and whenever i play fast the bass keeps clicking especially on the top string its not that im hitting the string to hard cause i was playing really soft.

2. HI:
    this happens to me all the time, especially when i get tired, that cklicking noise is actually you hitting the string down first before the upstroke, and its hitting the fretboard, when i get going i hear click,click, click as well as the notes, but it is annoying and requires you to do 2 things, 1)-modifiy your technique, try getting under the string first-> just use your fingertips and pull up enuf to activate the string, and 2)-raise the action of the bass, if your strings are higher they click less, I also find that if I play way back near the bridge i don't click, But its a bad habit and I have to consciencely do something about it to stop the clicking when i play fast. Hope this helps...my opinion
    frank

3. Vortex

Vortex

Jul 20, 2000
    can you ussualy hear the clicking while your recording in the studio

4. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    Try raising the strings on your bass. The clicking does not have to be a bad thing. Fretnoise, a little clicking and stuff like that makes the bass sit better in the mix and makes it feel more alive.

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    i get the clicking a lot too. with me its not the fretboard but rather the sound of my righthand fingers hitting the strings. you'll never get rid of it completely, but try EQing it a bit. make sure your 250 band is all the way up.

6. Vortex

Vortex

Jul 20, 2000
    how do you raise the strings up

7. thetravman

thetravman

Jul 25, 2000
    to raise the strings, you need an allen wrench. On the bridge,there is a cylinder for each string on the ends of each cylinder there is a hole where the allen wrench is inserted then twist the wrench till the strings are high enough

8. trim your nails once in a while. it helps bunches. [​IMG]