Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Geej, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Well... I dunno if this is a technique or setup question, so I'll post here... I sent my bass in to get the action lowered a couple of days ago... but now when I play using my regular style, I get alot of clicking from the string... its particularly noticeable when I play 8th's or 16th's of the same note...

Now is this a problem with my technique, i.e. am I playing too hard, or playing wrong? or, did the guy just set the action too low?

Man, what a noob question :bag:
  2. also, its mainly only on the E and B strings

EDIT: oops... sorry, I searched and found an answer :smug:
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Could be the action's too low now. Most likely, though, you're playing too hard. Play closer to the bridge and lighten up a tad and see if that helps. Low action is nice but there's a tradeoff, and that is it's easier to clank the strings.
  4. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    ...i didnt no people used the word 'noob' for guitar, i thought that was just what nerds sed on games.....

i have the same problem but i tend to play hard, but also i get alot of fret buzz, and i dont have a clue how to fix it, try just playing softer and if that doesnt do the trick...ask someone knows how to fix these kind of things lol
  5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

n00b is a general net term these days... used everywhere (even in real life tbh!), as most well-used slang ends up being.

I play really heavily, and on my old bass, my strings hit the pups all the time... I just have to adjust my style to accomodate the bass / action! I do like a low action though...
  6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have an EQ or two that I dial in to make clickity playing style sound alright. These days I rarely play like that (plucking hard enough for some fretboard impact), but that is one option.
  7. VVildo

Sep 6, 2005
    Isn't this an Internet sin? To say you found an answer and not tell everyone what it was? What if I...I mean my friend...has a similar problem?

Good friend of mine...he is...
  8. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Stanley Clarke's strings clicked against the fingerboard. It was part of his signature sound.

I have really low action, and when I want a clean sound a play lightly by the bridge, when I want a clickety raunchy sound I play over the neck pick-up.
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    It's technique. I did it 28 years ago, when I started playing, and unfortunately, I still do it today.

10. What, is the internet like a religion now? anywho... whatever... here lies thy answer ... may your search endeth

Thine clicking thread

EDIT: Yea... I know that guy you speak of... I saw him at the shop today... weird fella
  11. Could be your clicking is produced by the string hitting the pickup. If so, you could lower it a little.
    I play with a clicky sound. I also kinda like it. there are timmes when I can use it for effect. Of course, I thought Steve Harris was the shizznit when I was growing up. Still do, actually.