Clickity Click Click Click

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DuncanFlea, May 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If anyone can help me understand this it would be just great....Why is it that everyone wants to make the damn "clicking" noise that fieldy does??? I mean its not like its hard to do, you just uncontrollably beat the hell out of your Low E or B string on your bass. It's not like you are playing a note or anything, and even if you were, I doubt it would be the right note. This may take you a whole ten minutes to perfect keep in mind. I would rather spend years on a technique that took hard work and much practice to master, if thats possible with this instrument, than ever attempting to learn the "clicking" noise. I don't know maybe I'm old fashioned or something who knows.....At no way am I intending this for any ONE person and if the clicking noise is what floats your boat than more power to ya. Maybe John Entwistle or Geddy Lee know how to do the clicking thing..????
  2. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    lows up highs up no mids = feildy
  3. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Pluck hard and you'll get a clickity sound.
  4. "why is it everyone wants to make this clicky noise"? Excuse me? I sure as hell dont!
  5. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Are you folks claiming to be BETTER or ABOVE the people who do like the "clicking" noise. Thankfully each of us can enjoy and be influenced by all different styles and sounds. Your inability to appreciate this particular sound and style does not make the sound and style wrong. In fact it shows your own shortcomings.

Let people decide for themselves what they like without enduring this type of shallow ridicule.
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I spent alot of time and practice trying to get that clicking noise, fret buzz, finger squeaks out of my playing! I do everything backwards!
  7. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Duncanflea you had to bring up the clicking sound didn't you. Well welcome to talkbass and hold on to your hat.
  8. I personally don't do much of that Fieldy-style "slapping" but you do have to give him credit for cutting through the guitars. Now if he could just cut through the drums...
  9. I hope that nobody misunderstood me on this one. I was saying that I DO NOT want to make the clicking noise. I will have to pass on that one...
  10. One more thing, I wasnt criticizing anyone i was just saying i dont understand why everyone wants to do that. Like i said at the end of the post if that's what floats your boat than the more power to ya.
  11. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey no offense taken at all. Your first post was a bit more edgy than your most recent one, but dont worry. My posts usually strike people as way to edgy all the time.

Believe it or not, I do not use the clicking sound myself (not on purpose anyways). I just can relate to those who get critisized because of their musical choices.

I like extremely heavy metal (NOT anything with the word Core in it), and ambience style horror classical stuff (very wierd). SO, needless to say the Jazz purists who think that only THEY are REAL musicians, piss me off all the time.

Anyway, thats why I defended the Fieldy bozos (just kidding fieldy bozos).
  12. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    yeah. and they're everywhere I swear. jazz snobs who think they're better than everyone else.

not that there's anything wrong with jazz, though

13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    They ARE better than everyone else. ;) But only when it comes to jazz, and that's the only thing they're capable of doing right. ;)
  14. Yeah! Let's get a lynch mob going and do them jazzers in! ;)
  15. Definately agree about the jazz snobs....they are out they and they do think that for some reason if you don't play jazz and study the theories of music then you suck. I love all types of music and I beleive the more types you listen to, then the more you learn and apply different sounds to your music. Besides experimenting is so much more fun. Just so I don't offend anyone either jazz musicians are usually very talented artists, just sometimes too close minded.
  16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Slapping the bass won't get the clicky sound. It has nothing to do with technique at all.

About the jazz comment...:rolleyes:

Notice how it's always the people who DON'T know theory and can't play jazz who hate the people who DO know and CAN play?
  18. I would love to see an actual jazz musician play something other than jazz...And besides who needs music theory to play well, in fact most people who are great bassists have no idea on music theory. Sure you pick up things along the way from practicing but they are by no means theorists of music. At least I know for me I can play jazz, maybe not the extent of others, but I can play all other types of music, and play them well. I would rather be well rounded the one sided.
  19. Oh yeah, and if the clicking sound has nothing to do with technique...well nevermind that cause it's everything to do with the technique and the way you do it
  20. How beneficial can it possibly be to read music, anyway? I liken it to speaking a language, say, english for example - There are many people out there who cannot read the printed word, yet they can speak and carry on a conversation in english. So, what's the big deal? Why learn to read music when you can make music without knowing how to read it? Like the person who can't read, the musician who can't read music is at no disadvantage whatsoever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.