Clicky Musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 30, 2002.

1. I just got a new Stingray 5!!! I'm so happy!

Anyways, the b and e strings (sometimes a and d strings also) sometimes click when i fret notes.

Does anyone know what could cause this?
  2. could be slightly low action?
  3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Wait for the strings to break in, too. :)
  4. when buying a new bass.. the very first thing you do when you get home, is play the bass for half an hour.. remove the stock strings and put your favorite kinds on it, do setup, go to bed, and play your new bass the next day :)

at least.. that's the way I do it :)
  5. I agree that the new strings could be making the difference. Take the strings off a bass u have (assuming you have more than one) and replace the new ones with em. If there is now NO noise dont bother messin round with the action, if there is then you know the action has something to do with it. I wouldnt bother messin around with the action unless you are unhappy with it, because the click appears to the only problemo. If its just the strings, wear em in and you're sorted.

Thats just my advice.....

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Like Crawling Eye said, give the strings a chance to break in. New strings have a tendency to be Super Bright, and can sound a little clicky and clacky at first. Play it for awhile and see what happens.

Or, it could be your technique. Give yourself a chance to break in to the bass.;) Just a thought, no offense intended.:)
  7. neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Could be strings, as mentioned above, or it may be the fact that Musicman's tend to need a softer touch than some basses. I'm used to playing a Jazz and "digging in" when playing fingerstyle over the bridge pickup. On the Stingray, this causes the B and E strings to hit the pole pieces and make a "click." Only one reason I don't like the bass. Just my opinion, but I'm planning on selling mine. I just don't see the attraction in 'em.
  8. I was thinking that the clicking strings might be more a function of the tone controls. On all of my basses, but most especially the MM, the more treble on the tone knob, the more I hear the clicking of the strings hitting the frets.
  9. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    If its not the action you might want to check out the relief of the neck. Although if you haven't done it before I'd ask someone to show you the details of your truss rod.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Stingrays are pretty bright basses, and with stainless steel roundwounds, they are very clicky.

One thing you could do is try nickels, or even Elixirs. But most people who buy Stingrays buy them for the signature tone, and brightness. IME the signature Stingray tone is best achieved with stainless roundwounds.

You could work on your left hand technique a little, that will clean up some of the clickiness. Also, as neptune said, you can't dig in as much on a 'Ray as you can on other basses. You need to play with a lighter touch, unless you want the clicks as part of your sound.h
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    FiELdY? iS THaT yOu? :D