1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cliff Bordwell (CB) Dola 5 in the works - COMPLETED!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikezimmerman, Jun 7, 2016.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Great choice my friend. :)

mikezimmerman and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I hope all is well with you, Andy!! :)

In my "Perfect World", I forsee having Cliff build my next 6-string, and Chris Stambaugh building the one after that!

Now if only I could win the Powerball jackpot, I could expedite my orders! :D

I really like what I've seen of Cliff's work, plus I've noticed how he often praises other Luthier's work, which shows a lot of class IMO.

I'm trying to figure which body style to go with at this point. He has some really nice looking designs, very unique IMO.

mflatau and emjazz like this.
  3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I love Cliff's work. I'm moving away from solidbody basses (having a 6 string acoustic bass being made at the moment). Would love a headless bass for travel at some point. I'm sure Cliff would make something incredible.

I'm doing really well! Thanks, D! I hope the same for you!

4. mflatau

mflatau

Aug 19, 2008
    Looks amazing! I'll be picking mine up this week... Jealous that I didn't get to use mine this weekend. Looking forward to hearing more about your bass as you get to know each other. How did the weight of the bass turn out?

5. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    Very cool bass, very cool thread.
    Enjoy

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I wasn't really spec-ing for a particularly lightweight bass. It's lighter than my Curbow or Warmoth, but it's not the featherweight that my old MTD or Elrick 5's were. It's probably under 10 pounds, but maybe not by a whole lot.

I'm totally loving the neck! It's a shallow C with rolled edges that are ridiculously comfortable, and the lower cutaway makes getting up into the upper register a breeze, especially compared to the Warmoth (which has been my main gig bass lately).

Still discovering favorite tones, of course. Last night I mostly played with the neck pickup in parallel and the bridge in series and just adjusted the blend to suit the tune. In single coil, there's a little buzz with either pickup soloed, but not bad. With both together, it's not really a Jazz Bass tone, but very articulate in that way. And I can already tell that the passive tone control will be very handy, especially if I end up switching to livelier strings than Cliff's default DR nickles.

7. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    This is probably a stupid question, but what are rolled edges?

8. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's where the edges of the fretboard are slightly rounded over on top.

9. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks. That is what I was thinking, but I didn't want to assume...:D

mikezimmerman likes this.
  10. Are string spacing and neck width standard options or is that something you pay extra for?

11. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Within a certain range, string spacing, nut width, and scale length are standard options. I paid extra on mine because the nut width (2-3/16") and string spacing at the bridge (20mm) are both wider than that range.

12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Like "tumblehome" in boat hull shapes (imagine fretboard across the top of the boat):
    tumblehome.
    Older Reverends even filed the fret edges to the same angle, makes for a really nice smooth neck feel for the left hand, no rough edges at all.

13. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yes, it's a very "broken in" feel.

14. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Thank you for the illustration.

I'll keep this in mind when I finally get around to placing an order.

What made you choose the slim C neck profile over Cliff's oval, or D neck profiles? (Forgive me if you explained this previously.)

15. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I was mostly just wanting something generally like my Curbow, which is wide and very shallow front to back, but of course nothing really feels like those necks! Beyond that, I wasn't terribly specific with Cliff, and things like "C" and "D" are kinda subjective. To me, "D" is blockier (like my Warmoth Big 5), while "C" is slimmer on the outside edges. And maybe the rolled edges are what Cliff calls "oval". I just know I like the end result!

bholder likes this.
  16. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I have to say, the more time I have to look at this bass in person, the more I appreciate how really stunning this top is!

The pics of the raw wood that we started with were really interesting and unique enough to convince me, but only Cliff was really envisioning the end result with a finish on it. The completed pictures look great--and I appreciate being on the CB "Featured Basses" page--but they really do not do it justice!

17. I agree. When you first posted the top I thought it looked nice but it wasn't anything super special. The finished bass really pops though. I love the black hardware.

18. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks. It looks like Cliff is calling the neck shape "Oval"...that's what I'll go for if I order a 5-stringer. :cool:

19. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Curious...what's your favorite setting so far?

20. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    1) Both pickups on parallel, or neck in parallel/bridge in series (slightly darker and hotter), blended evenly -- this is my go-to setting, with both fullness and a bit of edge
    2) Pan all the way to the neck pickup, passive tone down -- much darker than I can normally get with a straight active setup
    3) Both pickups on outer coil, blended slightly toward the neck -- not a "jazz" tone, exactly, but more in the ballpark than the dual-coil settings