1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cliff Bordwell chambered six string mini review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaxlaw, Aug 11, 2007.

1. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    I was blessed to aquire this bass Last month.

[​IMG]

Six string
    Fretless
    lined bubinga fingerboard
    34" scale
    Burl Maple Top
    Chambered walnut and spruce body
    active/passive
    Nordstrand pu's

I love the bass. I have had it for about a month and wanted to let it sink in before I tried to give the bass a fair review. I'll start a thread and let everyone know what I think of the Bass. I'll say this now you can't go wrong with Cliff and his designs. I was more concerned about the Bass being fretless than chambered as I wasn't until this time very much of a fretless player.

First the wood, the build the neck joint, the electronics the entire package is top notch. The fingerboard is a work of art. I do mostly jazz and gospel I knew the bass would work for the jazz stuff but I am surpirsed how the bass lends itself to the gospel arena as well in which the playing can get quite agressive - I can get a distinct slap tone out of the bass and fingerstyle I can get both the burp and mwah that define a high quality instrument.

I normally play the bass in the passive mode. I get a very organic wood tone out of the Bass, hard to describe but pleasing. The chambered nature of the bass makes the body somewhat thicker - but gives a lot of tone - the bass is like a mixture of the best qaulities of my Eminence EUB and my MIA Febnder Jazz in the passive mode and more than holds its own with my Roscoe in the active mode while maintaing a definitive organic tone.

I don't solo bass but I do do bach and paly the head and chords of the standards (real book). This bass is excelent for this work as well. To date I have played this bass with the Jones High Scholl Alumni Band (Big Band lots of horns). The Bernie Lee jazz Trio. Bill White ( he does Louis Armstrong Covers) Soul for Real ( Smoth jazz /standards). The McKinney Gospel Chior (Moderen urban gospel) and worship services for St. John A.M.E. Church - So as you can see the bass gets a workout and fits in in every circumstance - I leave all my other bases at home now.

Ergonomically the bass sits both in the lap and on the shoulder well. some people may find the thickness of the body - like an acoustic somewhat - different. No neck dive.

If you are considering having a bass built I suggest you look at Cliff's work. I am extremely satisfied. If you are in the Orlando area pm me or call me and I'll bring the bass out for you to see.

edwinhurwitz likes this.
  2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Wow... that is incredible bass. Do you have any more pics?

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    my first post in a long time... Yum!

4. Wow!!! Cliff's work really is something to behold. That's a great looking bass.

And from your review, it delivers on the playing side as well. The best of both worlds!

5. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Very nice. Congratulations on a great bass.

6. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Very nice indeed. I look forward to hearing more thoughts. I'm really interested in your thoughts on the chambering.

Congrats on a gorgeous bass.

7. nippes

nippes

Jul 25, 2006
    Germany
    Congrads. I´d love to see some more pics. This really is a beauty.

8. Thunderwood

Thunderwood

Mar 20, 2007
    Delafield, WI
    Yes! More pictures if you have any time to put that thing down!
    That bass is on the homepage, you must feel special!

I just e-mailed Cliff about a custom bass Design. He seems to really like the design I made. I am very excited to do business with him.

9. Carver

Carver Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2006
    North Mississippi
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Man, what a beauty! Cliff's work is so amazing...love that chambered design. Congrats!

11. jaxlaw,
    nice looking CB! I've had my single cut CB for about 7 months now and still can't put it down. With Cliff's basses, you'll notice you'll end up playing more!
    :bassist: - Scott.

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Killer bass! I also am lucky enough to have gotten a CB in the last year, and have also waited (about 6 months) to review it. I'll likely post the review next week. I didn't opt for the chambered design, but I'd like to hear your impressions of that.

13. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    I got an additional picture from Cliff today should have more by the end of the week - I'll have to figure out how to post them as I have no URL for them. I am in the middle of a busy week but I'll figure it out.

NickyBass & Lomo, I really like the Chambered design. IMO it gives the bass a quite unique tonal characteristic and enhances the fretless quality of the bass. In the passive mode the Chambered design really sticks out - the bass has a richer quality of sound than the previous fretless acoustic (Godin) that I had at one point which to my ear at times sounded a bit thin in comparison. In other words better sustain and depth of tone - no feedback issues - so far - and a more organic (woody) tone than my solid body basses (Roscoe, Fender, Tune). Passive the Bass really emphasizes the mids and it is this mode that I enjoy the most, however in some circumstances when I am provided with a thin amp as a baclkine or the room acoustics demand it or I am teamed with a thick keyboard and loud active drummer I can throw on the aguilar pre amp and boost the bottom and get a ton of tone that really cuts through.

The bass is definitely not a one trick pony. It is not a beginner bass (you have to be on point due to the fretless nature and the fact that the bass is unforgiving - slight shifts will alter your pitch - and the bass reproduces even slight changes in pitch quite accurately and evenly) - but it is a bass that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in being serious about the instrument.

14. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    Here are some additional pictures that I got of the Bass

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

15. :eek: :eek:

That is just an amazing picture.

Great work, Cliff. Wow...

16. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Wow, amazing design.
    CB is among my fav luthiers for sure.
    I hope to play one of his creations someday.

17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That looks incredible.

Marshall

18. Holy hell. That's awesome! :)

19. EduardoK

EduardoK Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2004
    WOW, a work of art !!!
    Congrats jaxlaw.:bassist:

20. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    WOW!!!! I can't get over how gorgeous that is. Increadible workmanship. It looks flawless.

Is Cliff offering the chambering on the 'D' style fretted basses, or just the fretless singlecuts?