Cliff Burton: dist.- wah order

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carl-anton, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Does anybody know which order Cliff Burton used his distiortion and wah pedals? I have a Big Muff myself and a Crybaby, but I can't get the expressive sound he does. I place my wah before the distortion, but that leaves me with a very little margain where the wah has any effect on the dist. I can get full "wah-control" over the distortion with other dist-pedals like EBS multidrive, Boss Metalzone etc, so I know it can be done. I've tried to put the wah after the Big Muff, which makes the wah-pedal control the distiortion sound completly, but it doesn't sound good at all (too quacky - like Newsteds sound ;) ), and it surely doesn't sound like Burton!

So, does anybody know if this was the way he linked up his pedals, or did he have some kind of mod done to his Big Muff?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wah AFTER the Muff.
  3. hmm, thought so. Guess I'll have to experiment a little then.
  4. skynbass06

skynbass06 Guest

Dec 6, 2003
    texarkana, tx.
    thats how it goes.i've seen pics of his setup and thats how he has it setup but his big muff does look a little modified(maybe it's just worn out).:cool:
  5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Hey Tim, congrats on 666 posts - now you should never post again ;) j/k :p

Tim would probably know this better than I would, but I always thought Cliff used a Morley - not a Crybaby. And I would assume the pot was changed to make it better for bass. You did change the pot on your crybaby, didn't you?
  6. Yeah, Cliff used a Morley. And yes I tried different ranges on the Crybaby, but it didn't help alot. Gonna try it after the Muff...
  7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Morley Power Wah to be exact...
  8. his setup could be different for live, i can get extremly close to his studio tone with 2 bass odb3 on both sides of a morley power wah
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Seems to me, if you want the same sound, you should use the same equipment.
  10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Anybody try the Morley Power Wah Fuzz? I wasn't crazy about the distortion sound, but that could drastically change with a Muff before it...
  11. i go bass->Morley PWO -> Russian Muff (reissue)->amp. you have to scrape the strings with your nails to get those screamy sounds from Call of Ktulu, Anesthesia, etc.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What's with everyone reviving two and three year old threads today? This is like the 5th one in this forum!

Please, look at dates!
  13. Alot of Cliff's sound is in the technique too, you can just get the same gear and expect to sound like Cliff. I remember reading in 'Bass Player' that he used the sides of his fingernails to get those high pitched screams.
  14. tjrtherealmagic

Jun 10, 2013
    Here's mine, I know this is older than dirt... american muff, compressor, power wah boost or fuzz, depends on song, tube screamer. that'll just about do it