Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cliff Burton effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jordane818, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jordane818

jordane818

Jan 17, 2005
    ive recently been lookin around for a pedal that can recreate as close as possible to his overdriven sound in such songs as anesthesia, for whom the bell tolls, and call of ktulu. i hear the boss odb-3 does a nice job, but am also open for any other suggestions. while were on the topic of cliff, any suggested wah of today? everyone always says that he played a morley power wah boost but that does me no good since it has been discontinued. any wahs that can recreate his sound as close as possible as well as the overdrive?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I use a Marshall Guv'Nor to duplicate his OD tone. I dunno if the new version will cut it or not, but the old one does very well! As for a wah, I just used a Dunlop wah, worked close enough to me, and I doubt it's possible to nail anyone tone in the studio or live, even using the same gear ;).

Ray

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Welcome to TB. :D

OK, Cliff used a Big Muff distortion pedal and the Morley Power Wah. The Big Muff you can get new and is available in two versions. I can't remember which one he used (search). On the wah you can just get the standard Morley wah for guitar or hit Ebay where you can find nice used ones at times. Good luck.

BTW, use the search feature and you will find alot more info.

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm pretty sure he used the big green Russian Big Muff model. They might be hard to find. I use the Big Muff USA re-issue, and it does the job just fine. It's not as harsh sounding as the old Russian Model.