Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cliff Burton Matwer Of Puppets bass sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MegaAzDetH, Feb 28, 2001.

1. hello everyone, i've been playin bass for a couple of years, and i was wondering if anyone knew how to get the Cliff Burton sound from MOP, i had it for a while then forgot what it was, i had a close sound to it, if anyone knows and would be willing to share i would appreciate it, my amp is an Ampeg BA-115 thanks :)

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Giant Ass Massacre,

I dont believe Cliff played on Mother of Puppets.

3. oh excuse me for making a damn type o error i'm sure your the perfect typer

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Cliff did play on MoP, they didn't pick up the other guy til Justice. As far as sound, no clue.

I think he favored a Ric 4001 though.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Death, calm down. Nope, im not a perfect typer, but i utilize both my eyes to proofread and my backspace key to retype typos!

Seamus, it was a joke, if you read my post write. Hence, "Mother of Puppets."

And yeah, he played Rickenbackers, and had very good technique. If you want his sound, get his hands.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    >>"to proofread and my backspace key to retype typos! Seamus, it was a joke, if you read my post write."

You mean 'right'?

DOH!! :p

7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Napster of puppets....I mean, Master of Trumpets, er....Master of Puppets? So there's actually bass on that album?

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    There's actually pretty good bass on that album. It was J"ustice for All" that had no bass.

Around the time of MOP Cliff was no longer playing Ric's but instead favoring Aria basses. If you check out the Cliff Em All vid you get a lot of footage from his last tour.

9. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Cliff also had an Alembic Spoiler in '85.
    So I think it's possible he used it on "Puppets" (recorded sept-okt '85)
    The Alembic was stolen in '85, but I don't know when...

[​IMG]

10. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Why would u want cliff's tone anyway, his tone is barely audible in the mix. You can only hear him mainly when he plays with distortion, like for whom the bell tolls, anesthesia etc.

when they play most of their songs hes just following the guitars, and all u hear is just bassy guitars

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    The real question is: Why is this in setup and repair? A simple search of bassists would more than cover the answers you're looking for.

12. Just a comment, if it was his trusty Rickenbacker 4001 that he used, be warned that it was pretty much modified. I think there was a Gibson humbucker in the neck and a J pickup in the back. Something like that. I don't know much about Cliff but I think he used his Rick earlier in his career and his Aria and Alembic later. I could be very wrong.

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    An even better question: why was this thread bumped up after over five years?

Moved.

14. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    That's a rrrrreeeeally good question.

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yet another reason why HD is better than me, he looks to see when a thread started :p

Good call, btw.

16. maybe someone actually used the search! wow!

(i wish they did that in the fx forum :meh: )

17. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    You Listen to the album "Master Of Puppets" and you can't hear the bass? Ok...yeah...you're right..I guess...whatever..

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The bass is audible on Mawwwster of Muppets, but just barely.

19. Man, we should do this more often! Bumping 5 year old threads.

20. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Yeah i agree, and it can depend on speakers and settings etc..