Cliff Burton overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jordane818, Feb 25, 2005.

1. jordane818

Jan 17, 2005
    i know cliff overdrove his mesa boogie amp to get his nice overdrive sound, but does anyone know of a decent pedal that can compliment his sound nicely?

ive heard a lot about the odb-3 and was wondering how that wud compare?
  2. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    IMO don't get the Boss. It's totally awful! I didn't get anything else from it apart form digital sounding mud.

From "cheap" pedals, check out the Digitec Bass overdrive/distortion. I have it and like it. From more expensivve ones, check out Sansamp Bass Driver and Fulltone Bassdrive.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually I am pretty sure Cliff used a Big Muff for most of his crunchy stuff. I would stay away from most distortions and look instead at vintage style fuzz boxes to get a Cliff like tone. Also be aware that Cliff used a wah pedal on almost everything, frequently setting it in a fixed position as an envelope filter to make a certain frequency region more pronounced, which has an effect on the distortion as well.

Back in my "I must be like Cliff" days I got a 99.999% indistinguishable CLiff tone from a Boss Metal Zone (boost the mids, roll off the lows and highs) and Morley bass wah through a Crate head and "type unknown" 2x15 cab.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, ebay a Big Muff. That's what he used with a Morley Power Wah Boost.

ROCK ON CLIFF STYLE :bassist:
  5. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Marshall Guv'nor II can nail it with tweaking. A bunch of other sounds too.
  6. jordane818

Jan 17, 2005
    hah well tash, it looks like things are going my way, cuz i already have a metal zone, but havent tried it for my bass yet, thinkin it wudnt sound too good. PLUS i ebayed a morley pwb, the one cliff had, just a couple days ago. so it looks like much experimenting will be in the works after i get some work done on my amp. thanx everyone for the suggestions.
  7. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i had a digitech bp200 and sat down one night and put a pair of hear phones on and created the exact tone on pulling teeth/whiplash and bell tolls. it took me a couple hours but it sound perfect. i even had the wah sounds with the expression pedal. when we would do bell tolls people would come up to me after the set and tell me theve never heard it that close. it was closer to cliffs tone than newsted could ever come up with (but i guess the pick never gave him much a chance).