1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CLIFF BURTON PEDALS!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TimtallicA, Jan 22, 2018.

1. TimtallicA

TimtallicA

Jan 22, 2018
    Heyo,
    I've just stumpled across a picture of Cliff on stage that I've never seen! Can you guys tell me what pedals he is using right there? To me it looks like a Morley PWB, Ibanez TS9, a Boss CS-2 and some pedal I can't identify: Screenshot_1.

2. EricJMorgan

EricJMorgan

Feb 13, 2018
    Manalapan, NJ
    Judging by the high foot pedal and low control area, and the control configuration, I think it's a Yamaha Chorus.
    Cool pic, by the by. I haven't seen this one, either.
    Cheers!
    E. Yamaha Chorus.

3. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    The Morley looks just like the new Power Fuzz Wah reissue.

4. EricJMorgan

EricJMorgan

Feb 13, 2018
    Manalapan, NJ
    "The Morley looks just like the new Power Fuzz Wah reissue."

Definitely not due to the obvious chronological reasons, but that PWB box is much taller and the pedal is angled back at too steep an angle. I have an old Tel-Ray Morley panning pedal and it's about three times as tall as the 80's Slimline series, and the new PWF reissue (which is pretty awesome, by the way).

Look like he has his pedals duct taped to the board, too. :)

5. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    Ok, how's this then.....from the top, the morley looks just like the new Power Fuzz Wah reissue.

6. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    If there is one thing this thread has taught me though, it's that we are playing pedals today that blow away anything guys like Burton had, yet we're all still trying to parse out what he had on his board so we can sound like him. Ironic actually. That's why I say sometimes that I want to give it all up and play some MIT Boss pedals and call it a day.

7. EricJMorgan

EricJMorgan

Feb 13, 2018
    Manalapan, NJ
    Sorry, I misread what you had said.
    Yeah, Morley did a good job of matching the general aesthetics of the old, chrome box models.
    I think the PWF reissue is great, and, for me, gets his sound easily, especially when paired with the other pedals he was using.

As far as chasing what he used, that's just for historical interest for me, really.
    I was into them from their demo, saw them at L'Amour and was right up front at 13 years old, so I saw what he had down in front of him first hand. That line up had changed through his career, albeit short.

He is an iconic bassist, like him or not, so people are going to want to know what he used just like they do with Hendrix, and any other influential player. I have old and new pedals and use them all equally. For the old-school sounds, the old stuff is great, and quirky, but it they can't touch the new technology.

Korladis and Hypocrite like this.
  8. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    @TimtallicA I think the picture angle is deceiving you. That board is Hetfield's. If you look to the far side of the stage in the pic you'll see the board is stationed at the middle spot of the stage, not the far right.

9. Nah...that's Cliff's board.

Here's another angle, and James' station is in front of Lars with the semi-circle of monitors.

cliff onstage.

10. Russ Pfeifer

Russ Pfeifer

Feb 23, 2018
    Am I the only one realize that cliff used a power wah boost and yet still we are betwixed into thinking it was PWF. When if ever did he use it? I know i have both telray era tanks and my muff and ts9 just swallow the wah. I purchased the reissue day one. I was so dissatisfied I gave it away. Any amp I've ever plugged into with the PWB-ts9-compressor-bigmufff gives me that tone: I think the whole PWF thing is to throw everyone off the trail. Please someone verify that cliff actually used the PWF. Picture preferred cause words will not convince me unless you have a combination yourself that is working CORRECTLY

11. EricJMorgan

EricJMorgan

Feb 13, 2018
    Manalapan, NJ
    I'll have to look for official documentation, but from what I know, he was using a Power Wah Fuzz in the beginning with various other pedals, then once he started using the Mesa D-180 he traded the PWF locally for a Power Wah Boost because he "liked the grind from the amp better", according to either his tech, or friend Dan. I forget where I read it.

I also think in "Back To The Front" their long time sound man, Mark Whitaker, said when Cliff would do his live solo he'd always have to knock his house volume back quite a bit because of the massive jump in volume.
    That comment from the sound guy, plus him liking the "grind" from the Mesas would be in line with using a PWB.
    It has a lot of gain (volume boost, not necessarily distortion, although I've heard it's got a little grit with the boost engaged) on tap, so to me, that makes sense.
    I have a 70's PWB arriving this Saturday, so I can report back shortly after then.

As far as the Morley reissue goes, I'm finding it very easy to get his solo tone with my Warwick Streamer (all passive) into an old Boss Bass Limiter, the Tribute Fuzz Wah set with the fuzz intensity at like 4 o'clock, volume to taste (slight boost), wah level about 4 o'clock, and use the vintage fuzz setting.
    That goes into an Analogman 808 modded TS9DX in the Hot mode with tone set to my taste to tame the really high, sharp edge of the wah slightly, drive up half way (noon), into a Verellen Meatsmoke into (2) 2x12's and (1) 1x15.
    I think it sounds great. Changing the order of the effects loses the Cliff's tone with my set up/ears.
    Seems to have to be Limiter, PFW, TS9DX for me.
    Hope this helps.

The reissue doesn't sound so great with active pickups, though. At least in my opinion.
    A friend of mine tried mine, at my house, with his bass and it wasn't so awesome. Was kind of disappointing.
    With my basses...it was killer. With my Warwick fretless (only active bass I have), blah...

I'll report back once I've messed around with the PWB I just bought.
    Laters.
    E.

Korladis likes this.
  12. Russ Pfeifer

Russ Pfeifer

Feb 23, 2018
    what is also true is Jason used the PWF without a doubt. Watch his bass solo from the binge and purge Seattle show during justice tour. They pan above Jason you can clearly see it's a PWF. So in my proven knowledge cliff tone achieved through the power wah boost Jason is the PWF

13. Russ Pfeifer

Russ Pfeifer

Feb 23, 2018
    This is my Metallica rig. It's a dead on match for any Metallica bass wah. I've tried all the combinations and this is it I'll take any Pepsi challenge

Attached Files:

AndyLES likes this.
  14. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    St. Louis
    As an owner of a PWF, it gets you the Cliff sound, no problem. Couldn't tell you any difference between it and the PWB, but I've been getting Cliff tones since day one on my PWF. As for the Jason/Cliff debate, I think a lot of that comes from the order of effects. Jason solo tone, (ala binge and purge) is right on the money with a Big Muff or other fuzz going into the Morley, Cliff solo tone; Morley into Big Muff/Tube Screams/Really any dirt will get you close, plus maybe a touch of reverb or delay. The rest of it is in the fingers, or in Jason's case the pick.

15. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Nice. I take it you play in a tribute band? Also, how's the mini comp working for you?

16. Russ Pfeifer

Russ Pfeifer

Feb 23, 2018
    Haven't done the tribute band more for my own love of the band and Cliff's tone is directly responsible for my love of metal music. The mini comp is a great pedal!! I highly recommend this to any one

17. DudeWowTotally

DudeWowTotally

Jun 25, 2017
    @TimtallicA

I think it's a Washburn AAD9 Analog Delay.

qersty likes this.
  18. EricJMorgan

EricJMorgan

Feb 13, 2018
    Manalapan, NJ
    Got the 1978 Power Wah Boost on Saturday and love it.

I'm finding that the PWB with just the TS9DX gets the CLB tone, as well.
    Actually more aggressive than my previous chain with the Boss Limiter, reissue Power Fuzz Wah and TS9DX with the PWB boost is engaged. The boost is really special and adds to the solo tone in a big way.
    Even when you sweep high, the low end is still there, so it's not brittle at all.
    Fattens it up and adds some grit. It reminds me of a Rangemaster Treble Booster, except it keeps all the frequencies and boosts the bass a bit it seems.

My take is the reissue with the chain I have set up sounds more like the Anesthesia tone, and the PWB with just the TS9DX has the later live and album tones. Two somewhat different flavors in the same ballpark, but very cool.