1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CLIFF BURTON PEDALS!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TimtallicA, Jan 22, 2018.

1. TimtallicA

TimtallicA

Jan 22, 2018
    Heyo,
    I've just stumpled across a picture of Cliff on stage that I've never seen! Can you guys tell me what pedals he is using right there? To me it looks like a Morley PWB, Ibanez TS9, a Boss CS-2 and some pedal I can't identify: Screenshot_1.

Driven Crane, vivaknoxvegas and N__B like this.
  2. Judging by the high foot pedal and low control area, and the control configuration, I think it's a Yamaha Chorus.
    Cool pic, by the by. I haven't seen this one, either.
    Cheers!
    E. Yamaha Chorus.

3. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    The Morley looks just like the new Power Fuzz Wah reissue.

4. "The Morley looks just like the new Power Fuzz Wah reissue."

Definitely not due to the obvious chronological reasons, but that PWB box is much taller and the pedal is angled back at too steep an angle. I have an old Tel-Ray Morley panning pedal and it's about three times as tall as the 80's Slimline series, and the new PWF reissue (which is pretty awesome, by the way).

Look like he has his pedals duct taped to the board, too. :)

5. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    Ok, how's this then.....from the top, the morley looks just like the new Power Fuzz Wah reissue.

6. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    If there is one thing this thread has taught me though, it's that we are playing pedals today that blow away anything guys like Burton had, yet we're all still trying to parse out what he had on his board so we can sound like him. Ironic actually. That's why I say sometimes that I want to give it all up and play some MIT Boss pedals and call it a day.

7. Sorry, I misread what you had said.
    Yeah, Morley did a good job of matching the general aesthetics of the old, chrome box models.
    I think the PWF reissue is great, and, for me, gets his sound easily, especially when paired with the other pedals he was using.

As far as chasing what he used, that's just for historical interest for me, really.
    I was into them from their demo, saw them at L'Amour and was right up front at 13 years old, so I saw what he had down in front of him first hand. That line up had changed through his career, albeit short.

He is an iconic bassist, like him or not, so people are going to want to know what he used just like they do with Hendrix, and any other influential player. I have old and new pedals and use them all equally. For the old-school sounds, the old stuff is great, and quirky, but it they can't touch the new technology.

Hypocrite likes this.
  8. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    @TimtallicA I think the picture angle is deceiving you. That board is Hetfield's. If you look to the far side of the stage in the pic you'll see the board is stationed at the middle spot of the stage, not the far right.

9. Nah...that's Cliff's board.

Here's another angle, and James' station is in front of Lars with the semi-circle of monitors.

cliff onstage.

filler83, gunai and rjovin like this.