Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cliff Burton sound??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Totengraber, Aug 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just know I'm gonna have to sift through a load of poeple's opinions about effects or no-effects and whether Cliff was a decent bassist or not, but none of that will answer my (or anyone else's, I'm sure) questions about how to get that Cliff Burton sound. I'm mostly looking for how to get that heavily distorted "wah" sound. I have the Zoom BFX-708 and I think I've come pretty close. The only thing is that I can get the distortion in one patch and the "wah" in another, but when I put the two together I lose a lot of the "fuzz", so to speak. any ideas??

2. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, I know he used a rick 4001 bass, and later an aria pro2, and mesa 4x12/1x15 cabnets, and a morley wah. as for distortion, I think he just did what lemmy did and turned it up real loud, tho I've always like the dano fab tone distortion, which is "kinda" simmilar

3. dreadllok

dreadllok

Aug 18, 2005
    I Have the BOSS Hyper Fuzz... The distortion looks very close to the Pulling Teeth song... if you combine it with a wha pedal

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    READ THE FAQ!

Quick answer - Old Green Big Muff and Morely Power Wah Boost.

5. He used a bigmuff pedal and a morley wah.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    So is this officially the most frequently asked question in Effects?

Anyway, the green Muff and Wah Boost may be hard to find, and I have found that my American Muff gets the job done, FWIW.

Graeme

7. Yea, you can't go wrong with the old chrome Morley PWB... I picked one up from the bay a couple of weeks ago... it covers the whole bass range and the whole guitar range... so if you put it after the fuzz (i second the big muff) in the signal chain, you get some real dramatic effects while only using half the range ... and since thats the pedal he actually used, you cant go wrong... Just be careful if wanna use the boost, its really excessive, dont blow your speakers :rolleyes:

I can't really speak with any knowledge on the newer Morley pedals... but the PWB is unbelievable (i reckon it sounds better on bass than guitar)...

I also tried a Dunlop wah, i definetly liked the Morley sound better

But yeh... I don't think the excuse "i dont wanna sift through a load of posts" will go down to well when you ask about cliff burton sound... it is quite possibly the most recurring topic in the effects forum... SEARCH AND FAQ ARE YOUR FRIEND :ninja:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yup, long story short, then this is closed.

He used a Green Sovtek Big Muff, an American Big Muff will do the trick, so will a black Sovtek Big Muff.

A Morley Power Wah Boost was used. A Morley PBA Pro Series Bass Wah will work, and so will the PBA-2 Dual Bass Wah.

It's in the FAQ for this very reason. Case (and thread) closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.