Cliff Burton tribute wah mod help.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 254 stringer, Mar 26, 2017.

1. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    IMG_0432.JPG Right now the pedal has separate buttons for fuzz and wah. What I would like to do is make the wah button turn on everything and the fuzz button just toggle the fuzz on and off. I can't find a schematic online but I included a picture if that will help. Does anyone think it's possible? Is it possible with the stock buttons or will I need a different type?

2. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Why do you want the wah button turning both on? My wiring experience is too limited to say if that will be possible or not sadly...

If you wire the fuzz to the wah switch then convert the fuzz switch to a mute for the fuzz that seems like it would do the trick.

I can't say how you would go about that exactly though, I imagine you would move the fuzz switch wires to overlap with the wah switch ones, then make a connection from the fuzz wires to the old fuzz switch, and wire the switch to ground the signal when engaged. Not sure how you would do it so the fuzz and wah don't get muted together though...

Anyways good luck! Wah pedal mods are sweet, I have a Bootzilla fuzz wah I have been meaning to fix up and start modding. It has fuzz and wah foot switches too but only the fuzz works for now.

3. 254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Mostly just want both to turn on with the same switch to save some tap dancing. But I would like the option of turning the fuzz off if I wanted.

4. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Maybe you could turn the fuzz footswitch into a 2 way on/off switch so you could just leave it on.

5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    If you can do that, maybe you can do it with a switchless optical activator like other Morley wahs! And then I would buy one from you modded that way, lol.

I want to try one of these pedals out, but I also thought it'd be nice to turn both on at once. A tiny 1590a size loop pedal across the bottom, below the heel edge, would work to switch it on and off with if you have extra real estate.

6. 254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    The external loop may be my best bet. I know it would work and I don't take a chance screwing up my pedal. Real estate won't be an issue on the board I'm planning because it will be for some of my larger pedals. Thanks for that idea I was trying to make things over complicated.

7. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    While I agree the loop is simpler, the way I like to use things I think your idea is the better one. Like I said, I'd actually want it to be switchless like the other Morley wahs - step on the treadle and start wah-ing, with the fuzz on or off as pre-set by the fuzz switch.

Just for my own curiosity, how does the fuzz side work out of the box? Is it just on or off, via the switch, or does the treadle roll the fuzz in and out of the signal the way it opens and closes the filter on the wah side? (i.e. if you just leave the treadle alone and turn the fuzz side on and off, does it work like a normal fuzz pedal or is the fuzz also dependent on the treadle?)

8. 254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    It just works like a regular fuzz. It's not a great fuzz on its own but makes a pretty good boost for the wah into another distortion or fuzz. That's why I would like to have them come with one switch. I messed around a little but I don't think it's doable with the stock switches so I will probably just go effects loop.

9. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Ohhh, so if you turn the Wah off with the switch but leave the fuzz on, then the treadle does nothing to the sound? Interesting! Wish I could find one to check out myself.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022