1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cliff Burton

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cliffette_goddess_of_bass, Oct 9, 2000.

1. i am just wondering...how many of you guys like cliff burton? he's my idol i model my playing off of him, and i was just wondering....that's all....

2. Well, when I try a bass or new equipment, I always play the first part of "Pulling teeth", to the part where Ulrich starts off. I don't model my playing to anyone, I try to keep my own style, which is almost no technique, but feeling instead.

But I think he was one of the greatest metal bass players that ever lived. Rest in piece.

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Cliff is one of my favorite bassists ever. He impressed me so much with his freewheeling style. Its really a shame that we lost two of my favorite musicians so young....Cliff and Randy Rhoads. RIP!

4. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    DEFINATLY my favorite bassist, and main influence. I just wish I could play half as good as he could.

5. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    Cliff Burton was an awsome bassist but if he hadn't of died I would be surprised if anyone thought he was a god at bass, they would just think hes great at bass.
    Just watch, When Geezer Butler dies he will be praised and called a god. but no says that now.
    Greats are never appreciated in their time.
    well maybe hendrix.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    WRONGO! I say that now.

7. Hes the guy that made me pick up a bass
    I still find myself playing cliff riffs everytime i practice

8. what is your problem with cliff brewer9?

9. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I think Clif is a better bass player then Jason by far!

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    both are good, but not "gods of bass"

11. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I have NO problem with Cliff. He was my idol (i saw him live back when Kill 'em All was a NEW album!). I was commenting about the previous post. If you go back and read the post right before my last one you'll see that someone said no one will recognize Gezzer Butler as a BASS GOD while he's still alive. To that i say "wrongo." Geezer is and always has been my BASS GOD. He's a Living Legend if there ever was one.

Does that explain it?

12. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    HEY HEY,
    I'm not sayin i dont like geezer butler, I used to play lead guitar until I saw him in concert, I was sayin how mtv and vh1 and other music press or what not does not recognize greatness until its gone. Fans are the only people who see things for what they are.

13. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    It went like this; I got cliff em' all in the mail off of Ebay, popped it in, saw cliff playing the intro to bellz where he goes crazy with it, and I was like holy crap, I gotta start playing bass. A couple weeks later I got some gear and started up and now I plan to make a career of playing bass after high school. anyone that introduces me to an altertive to a 9 to 5 job in a cubicle is a god in my books. his style is something that can't even be understood without seeing him play live. every time I watch it I am just awestruck. Vic wooten may be able to slap faster than he could, but I really don't care about that at all, he was still amazing.

14. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Cliff had a very sloppy techniqe as far as I see,

15. bass man... please explain by what sloppy means? he was a good bassist...and as far as i'm concerned he's a god in my book....

16. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    its really funny how an entire sting of posts can be based on misunderstanding the posts in before posting. i do it too so i'm not critisizing, but you hafta admit its funny.

Yeah, cliff was sloppy....so what. thats part of his style that i like. jimmy page was sloppy too and there's no way to pull him down from his legendary status. and remember, cliff was still very early on in his playing career. he only would have gotten better and better.

17. i agree with you brewer...i admire his playing...but cliff had been playing the bass for 10 years..he started out at the age of 14.... god knows that i have just stared out...and it'll take me one HELL of a long time to be good....

18. I've always liked Cliff Burton's basslines better than Jason Newsted's. Especially "Orion" and "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)".

19. i don't like newsted...i think he really screwed up some of the songs and bass lines in the symphony stuff...like bells....it's so tragic....i have nothining nice to say about newsted...

20. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What kind of wah does Cliff Burton (the original bassist for Metallica) use on the song "Anesthesia, Pulling Teeth"? I know he uses some distortion too, but i have distortion that will work already.. PLEASE REPLY@!!!!!!!!! thanks, Evan