1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cliff Burton

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by thegreathairy, Aug 13, 2007.

1. thegreathairy

thegreathairy

Apr 11, 2005
    i'm not knocking cliff burton but i am wondering why hes praised so highly. it seems like he follows the guitar lines every song except 2 or 3. whys he so highly rated?

2. Search function.

3. Well following the guitars is what metal bass playing is about 80% of the time, there's not a lot of space to do much else. But the songs where he does shine are exceptional. Also, his solos during live shows are where he gets a lot of his praise from, the way he was able solo with such speed and sound like a lead guitar- if you want some examples do what was suggested above or get Cliff 'em All. And don't forget that the intro to the heavier section (1:42) and the final solo on Orion (6:53) may sound like guitar but are actually distorted bass. There was also his musical influence on Metallica. He was a classically trained pianist and studied classical music, and used this knolwedge to influence Metallicas song arrangements.

Don't forget either that he died when he was only 24, and probably hadn't reached his peak yet.

4. hauntedoak

hauntedoak

Apr 29, 2007
    its get often more powerful when you are doubling the guitar line, but if you study the bass notes and compare them to the guitar you will see that he have alot of clever solutions in the bass part;)

5. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    it's because he was magic
    HE'S A WIZARD!

6. toaster2k3

toaster2k3

May 21, 2007
    Because he was a flashy bassist for a popular band and then he died, thus securing his place in the hearts of children everywhere.

7. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Orion.

8. His distorted bass lines is a start that make him different, then his composing on bass where it may seam he's bhinde the guitar but playing alot more like the guitar solo in master, orion and Ktulu, def some good stuff there.

9. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    The Call of Ktulu is a masterpiece.. I just wish the bass could be more out front in it.

And the Orion solo is at 6:35, not 6:53. And, above all else, almost that whole song was written by Cliff, including guitar parts.

Does it really matter why he has so many fans? Why do AC/DC have so many fans? That is some of the simplest music out there.. You know why? Because they have excellent stage performance, and their music sounds great. Same with Cliff. He could headbang 10000mph and still not miss a note, I don't know about you, but I sure as Hell can't do that. And his improvised live solos were just awesome.

Sure, he doesn't compare to some of the Jazz or Funk greats, but thats because those types of music rely on bass. Cliff took metal bass to a new level with his solo's and distortion, the only person who came close to him at that time was Lemmy, who used distortion, or Geezer, who played kickass basslines.

It doesn't atter why, the fact is, we like him.. if you don't understand why, listen closer.

And thus ends my rant.

10. He was the catalyst in making Metallica one of the most popular bands EVER.

He was the most knowledgAble in theory.

He had his own voice when he played. Nobody sounded like him.

Jimi Hendrix, Randy Rhoads, Dimebag Darrel, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Jaco and Cliff.

All those guys have their own voice and that is why Cliff is immortalized forever as an amazing bassist, musician etc.

11. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I feel the same way. If you love him great I'm not arguing with you to each his own. I've listened to all of it so don't think I'm talking out of school.

Back in the day when I started playing I was a big Metallica, Iron Maiden guy. I thought Cliff was "cool" then I heard Geddy, JP Jones and Squire. I quickly realized these guys weren't just "cool" they had great bass lines. Then when I started listening to Jaco and Stanley I realized there was allot of places the bass could go and listening to Cliff wasn't taking me there.....

12. basey

basey Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    I lot of people think that. But the truth is that most of his really cool stuff is lost in the mix on the albums.
    Escape, and Call of the Ktulu are good examples of this.
    If you listen to some of the older live stuff. He is all over the place!
    I don't think the sound engineer on Master and Ride the Lightning cared for the anestesia type tone that cliff used alot.

13. Popular band, decent talent, and a good stage front made cliff the famous bassist he is today.

i've listened to all of that and cliff honestly wasn't that great. his own voice was decent, and he was pretty good live.

however he was mediocore and thats undeniable. just like stairway to heaven is a staple in every guitarists belt, playing a little cliff on bass is one of those things that starts to lead to bigger things.

i personally like primus's cover of master of puppets more than metallicas, thats why i learned that one instead.

don't get me wrong, i like cliff somewhat and i appreciate what he contributed to the bass. however he wasn't half as great as hardcore metallica and metal head fans will make him seem.