Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cliff Burton's Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Apr 15, 2005.

1. From the few pictures that i have seen the headstock looks like a modulus, all square, but others photos i have seen it looks some what more like a yamaha/aria, can anyone help me out?
    Jon

2. It's an old Aria. I think the model is SB1000, or some other random sequence of letters and numbers.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Cliff Burton has used about 3 basses. His first is a Rickenbacher (I don't know how to spell that) 4001 in burgundy which he used on most of the Kill 'Em All gigs and whanot. Next was an Alembic Spoiler, but that was stolen. The one he used on Master of Puppets is an Aria Pro II.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And where's the Wal from the list? :eyebrow:

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Whatcha mean?

6. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Whatchutalkinbout Frank Martin? Cliff Played A Rickenbacker 4001 (with a jazz pup at the bridge and a Gibson Mudbucker (EB0?) at the neck) untill he had some problems with it, an Alembic Spoiler untill it was stolen and finally an Aria Pro II SB1000. He played the rickey on the Kill em all for one tour, then it needed to be fixed, so he bought an Alembic, which he was very happy with until it was stolen, then he got the Aria SB1000 Black & Gold... all of these basses were used on the Kill Em All for One tour... He played the Aria on the Lightning tour & the puppets tour

7. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I met some guy the other day that used to date Cliff Burton's sister and lived down the street from him in Castro Valley.

His main memory of Cliff is that he used walk down the street with a bass strapped on him playing it without an amp - kinda like how people use to walk around with Ghetto Blasters on their shoulders. This is when Cliff was in high school. He also said that he was always talking about playing "Lead Bass" - that's what Cliff called it. "Come see my band, Trauma. I play Lead Bass." Pretty funny, huh?

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Wasn't it a Wal then? It looked exactly like that on the One video - and many other clips, too. Same headstock shape and tuner config, same humbucker p-ups with poles sticking out, same rounded bridge, same shape, etc.

9. That's not Cliff in that video. That video was released in 1988 IIRC, and Cliff died in 1986, during the Master of Puppets tour. That's Jason Newstead with the Wal/Wal-lookalike.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Cliff isn't in the One video, he was dead. That's Jason Newstead.

I'm pretty sure the Ric made an appearence or two on the Lightning Tour. I seem to recall seeing a vid of him playing Fade to Black on the ric.

11. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    this bass Cliff walked down the street with, it wasnt the dreaded HIDEOUS CLAW was it? :D

sorry for jacking the thread, but i had to ask...

12. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    :eyebrow:

:D

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

RIP Cliff. He played Aria , Alembic ( Short time) and a modified Rickenbacker.