Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cliff burtons basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phoenixdown, Nov 11, 2002.

1. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    hey what basses did cliff burton use and how much do they cost?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I remember him using a burgandy Ric 4001 & a black Aria Pro II.

3. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    is the aria the one on the front of the metallica bass licks book?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And the Rick was highly modified. And the Aria Pro II isn't in production anymore. And Cliff is dead.

Get a bass you like and develop your own sound.

5. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    yer i know hes dead but he is 1 of the greatest bass players there was and i am developing my own sound but i wanted a bass like his so when im playing my metallica songs in my currently forming metallica cover band i wanted a sound like his

6. embellisher

You might scour Ebay for one of the Arias, or try to find out what modifications were done to the Rick. Ricks are easy enough to find, but modified Ricks have no resale value at all. If you buy one and mod it, make sure you plan to keep it for the rest of your life.

7. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    hrmmmm spose i'll just go ahead with the purchase of a btb406 the neck felt really comfy

8. embellisher

If you see yourself as a six stringer, I say go ahead and get the BTB. It is a decent entry level 6. Or you could buy my Soundgear 6, in the Classifieds section.:p;)

9. Didn't he also use some kind of Alembic? There are pages on the internet listing Cliff's gear, although I wouldn't bother trying to recreate another players sound down to the right equipment.

10. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    ive played a couple soundgears (not 6 strings)and i didnt like the feel or look of them also wouldnt it be really kool to have lyrics in the way yoda speaks???

11. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    soz bout that watchin episode 2 jes now lol

12. embellisher

Watching 'Attack of the clones', you are, eh? Too old you are, to begin Jedi training! Hmmph!

13. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    being a jedi would be so much cooler than being a gigging/pro bassist and both are as unlikely as the other lol

14. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    Cliff's basses:

Rick 4001 - jazz style pick up in the bridge and a white humbucker pick up in the neck (I hear the humbucker was made by Seymour Duncan but I am not sure)

Yes, Cliff did have an Alembic but it was stolen.

Cliff then began using an Aria Pro II SB-1000

15. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    These are not the basses you are looking for!

Sorry I just couldnt resist:D :D :D :D :D

16. See people, this is what pisses me off. All he asked was what basses Cliff Burton used.

He didn't say, "How can I mimick his every sound?"

:rolleyes:

17. Acctully his rick had a gibson EB-O pickup in it.

18. embellisher

Once again, I live up to my reputation.

19. SylinTBooM

SylinTBooM

Jul 18, 2006
    :ninja:
    From what I've seen, heard and read; Cliff was known to use a Rick 8541( looks pretty similar to the 4001), an Alembic Spoiler Bass which was stolen, then he began playing Aria Pro II basses. He may even have used the 4001 though. I played one not too long ago and it costing around $2500 BUT the bridge pickup was missing the cover or top piece to it. It felt great and sounded ballsy through a SWR Head and 4x10!!