Cliff Burton's gear

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FC Bass, Dec 8, 2007.

1. barach713

barach713

Jan 17, 2016
    what intrigues me alot is source of his distortion...he never explicitly said anything about distortion he is using(in interviews)...so far it lead me to deduce that those were: big muff(in early days, not sure how long he used it..but he did have one guy who knew him personally told me he remembers PI symbol), tube screamer(at around 84-85 for sure, seen on pics, also his ride the lightning tone, regular not solo one, sounded alot like tubescreamer)...he certainly used some dirt channels on his amps(back in kill em all days were pevey or sunn and stuff like that) later on mesa boogie(his master of puppets regular tone sounded like cranked mesa tube amp) and i have seen only one 86 live video where nothing except wah was on floor...so we cant really be sure what he used as a source of distortion...not to mention his tone changed alot through years

2. bohyeah

bohyeah

Feb 12, 2017
    Why would you say such a rediculous thing without research. The Red dunlop rotovibe was not even invented until years after cliff died so he could never have used it as it didnt exist. Where do you get your nonsense.

3. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    Yeah I think that sound is from an old big box MXR Stereo Chorus with the rate cranked...Cliff said in a recorded interview that he had one that got stolen in Chicago when they were on tour. I think that is the big pedal to the left of the Morley wah in the photo with Mustaine further back in the thread.

4. BornUnderSirius

BornUnderSirius

Apr 2, 2011
    I realize this is an old thread, but I have some comments about Cliff's Morley pedal. In the book "To Live is To Die" John Marshall had stated he used the FUZZ wah...quote "He used to like getting different sounds: the power wah FUZZ was his thing". I also noticed the Morley Cliff Burton Tribute Series is called a Power FUZZ Wah. Yet almost every post I read about Cliff Burton's gear claims he used a Morley Power BOOST Wah. I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts on this. I did see a photo of what appeared to be a hand-written equipment list from Cliff himself, in which he lists a BOOST wah, but I can not confirm the authenticity of this photo.

EDIT: Also this from MorleyPedals.com: "This wah and fuzz pedal was created as a tribute to the late great bass player of Metallica, Cliff Burton, who used the original 70’s version of our Power Fuzz Wah."

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the od character of the mesa d180 can be pretty brutal if you're using a high output bass with roundwounds ime

6. I believe Cliff used flats, but played so hard that they sounded like rounds!

mpdd likes this.
  7. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Cliff used Rotos, although the strings on the bass that Connie (his sis) has, doesn't have the red silk. She said they're the same strings from the last show (Stockholm)....

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    You know what, that's true the roto 77s sounded mean with my nordstrand loaded bullet bass and d180

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  9. What bewilders me is how he used flats (which naturally have higher tension than rounds) with the heaviest gauge possible and could still bend them up a tone and a half. Now THAT is finger strength!

mpdd likes this.
  10. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Strings:
    Light gauge Rotosound 66lc i think

Shoes: ??? :D
    Whatever Dave or Jason didn't want no more.

11. Ondskan56

Ondskan56

Dec 17, 2010
    If you look closely at this pictures you can see that his Morley pedal have only one knob. Morley Power Wah Fuzz used two knobs so you can assume that It's the Morley Power Wah Boost.
    I'm pretty sure that he used Morley Power Wah Fuzz before Metallica and in the early days of Metallica.

I've investigated this for a long time and personally had Morley PWF and own two PWB today. In my opinion Morley PWB suits Cliff Burton sounds perfectly.
    I can look for more details in the internet or the biography book that I have.

Also Jason mentioned that he received Morley that belonged to Cliff. You can see him using vintage Morley pedal so I assume it's PWB and not PWF because Cliff used PWF in his early days and then switched to PWB.

PWB - Power Wah Boost
    PWF - Power Wah Fuzz

28832722_945264858966078_678560971_n.jpg
    f55b2e.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  12. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm getting one of these tomorrow!

40692962861_95ccb7fc15_b.jpg

HandheldBear144 likes this.
  13. Ondskan56

Ondskan56

Dec 17, 2010
    Congratulation! I have two of these and I'm in love with them :)

PolkaHero likes this.
  14. Ondskan56

Ondskan56

Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Canadian APII and Alembic83 like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021