Cliff Burton's gear

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FC Bass, Dec 8, 2007.

1. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    I got a PM with some questions about the HD1000, thought I'll post the reply here also:

Do you want the exact sound from the London Lyceum solo? Then the Ibanez HD1000/1500 is the only way to go, no other delay/pitch shifting unit will get you that sound.
    If you want a clean "neat" pitch shifting device, I guess the POG is a really good unit. I haven't tried one, but did consider getting one before I heard of the Ibanez and it sounds real good on the demonstrations on Youtube.
    I tried to get the Cliff sound with an Alesis (Midiverb 4) and a Zoom box (505 guitar, very cheap unit on the used market)
    The Zoom 505 is great for pitch shifting and has some neat functions: Harmony settings and a sort of Whammy pedal function that works great (much better than the Digitech imho)
    With the Digitech there's some delay in the shifted sound, the Zoom is way more direct. You can only choose between 1 octave up or one octave down in the expression pedal mode though.

The pitchshifter in the HD1000 also has some delay in the signal, but since I'm replicating the Cliff sound that's no problem (in fact required to get that sound)
    With the feedback knob you can get some overtones and oscillation, just like you can hear in the Cliff solo. With the feedback control turned off, you'll get a much cleaner pitch shifting effect. There's a Rush song that has the HD1000 in the intro on guitar, forgot the name of the song but you'll find it if you search on Google.
    The range of the HD1000 is a bit higher than they claim in the manual/info sheets, mine does +/- 1500 up and down. I think that's a result of the old pots, so the circuit isn't limited to +/- 1300 cents.
    With the Width and speed controls you'll get very weird sounds, the pitch changes up/down (also shown in the display)
    I've only tried the pitch shifter on my rig once with my rig (I installed the unit yesterday just before the gig) The pitch shifter sounds much louder then the delay sounds in my rig (didn't notice that over the headphones)

The delay section is a-a-a-a-a-a-a-awesome!
    Tried dozens of units and they all did a nice clean delay, but nowhere near the sound of this unit. (again: trying' to mimic Cliff's sound here)

We had two cameras yesterday, but there's was a huge biker (Hells Angels gig) that made very clear they didn't want any recordings done in their shed (eh... huge hall it was)
    Our gear is packed in our "secret room" and I won't be seeing it 'till next weeks gig. That gig is in a tiny pub (Stage is so tiny, I'll have to stand in front of the entrance of the pub) I might take the effects stuff but don't think I can get to use it there, if it can be done I will post a vid.

Next opportunity will be in our practice room within a month (not sure when we're gonna practice again, it's vacation time over here) So I'm sure there will be some demo's on Youtube within a month or so, stay tuned.

For the fuzz/overdrive sound: Ibanez tubescreamer is on it's way to me, so I haven't tried it yet. But the Big Muff really nailed the sound of the London Lyceum solo. Will report how the TS does when I get it (and will be able to try it in my rig, see vacation notice)

Totally psyched/all emotional/head over heels/carried away/happy with the HD 1000 :)

2. FC Bass

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Some mistakes and sloppy playing, but I managed to record some sounds from the HD1000: Youtube link
    I will upload a better version asap, delay setting is wrong (216ms, should be around 300ms) and it was very LOUD!!! - Especially the octave up sounds, those high frequencies seem to be nuclear driven with this setup and these settings. :bassist:

3. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    This post, old as it is made my night.

I started playing bass after hearing Cliff on the radio when I was 18 and he has been a idol of mine. Learning that he liked Dungeons & Dragons is awesome as I am into that as well.

Thanks for that.

Here is a pic of Cliffs rig (supposedly but it looks legit) that i found on the webz...

setupdetail_zpsca238808.gif

Cheers!

MJW

4. FC Bass

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    That's an awsome rig... :D

This was Cliff's Mesa rig:

[​IMG]
    Mesa D-180 x2, Ibanez HD-1500 with Mesa 4x12 and 1x15 cabs (far right middle and top cab)

5. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Sweet. I still want to play like him more than any other player I dig.

:D

Cheers!

MJW

6. Just found some new info, if anybody cares :)p)
    Cliffs sister Connie has stated that she has one of his Arias in storage (She also said he told her preferred the sounds of it to the Ric), along with a ton of other items of his. She is also working on a Cliff book. Sweeeeeeet.

7. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    That is sweet! And I for one definitely care.

Cheers!

MJW

8. Ondskan56

Ondskan56

Dec 17, 2010
    Found some interesting photos:
    2qtei4p.jpg

vmpqaf.jpg

2lsaa9v.jpg

2zebepx.jpg

anyone recognise the pedals?
    In the first picture i see the Morley Power Wah Boost and near the morley there is Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808?

and in the black and white photo what is the pedal beside the morley?

Boba Fretless likes this.
  9. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

MJW

10. Ondskan56

Ondskan56

Dec 17, 2010
    Boba Fretless likes this.
  11. CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

May 7, 2013
    Thank you so much for sharing that. I started playing bass at age 13 after hearing and seeing Cliff on the 'Cliff 'Em All' video.

That was really touching to hear Lars has kept Cliff's bass in his home after all these years. A lot of people say that Lars didn't care as much for Cliff, but I always thought that was BS. Now I know it's BS.

Cheers!

12. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    This thread is a great read. It's interesting to see that there's people on this site that actually knew Cliff personally and have stories to tell about him. It's a shame that some of the older pictures in the thread don't work any more though, I can't help but wonder what I'm missing. One day, I would like to try and recreate that famous Rickenbacker as faithfully as possible, but that won't happen for a good few years yet!

13. NebulaZero

NebulaZero

Apr 27, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    that modulated sound you hear in the early solo
    where Dave Mustaine introduces him is not coming
    from a pitch shifter, its coming from a red Dunlop
    Rotovibe pedal and its also the soarce of his heavy chorus sound.

cheers
    Nebula

14. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Many of you have likely already seen this, but I just stumbled across this old Trauma video on You Tube. It not the much (over)played Cliff solo that led to the invite to join Metallica. Instead, it looks like a shoot for an MTV video - kind of an Alice Cooper "Welcome to my Nightmare" thing. Cliff is playing his Ric and, for a change, you really get to hear his tone and note choices. I think he sounds great.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    Kragnorak and Hamlet7768 like this.
  15. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    ^ I first heard about this video reading Cliff's bio by Joel McIver. McIver describes the video as largely forgettable except for Cliff's solo and the drum solo immediately preceding it, and I agree with him. It's a cool solo from Cliff, though, not as baroque as Anesthesia.

16. Ondskan56

Ondskan56

Dec 17, 2010
    The tube screamer ts808 which i've ordered just got here(new one because vintage ones are very expensive, but the new ones sounds similar to the vintage)
    and i'm testing him with my bass and pedals.

I took a picture to compare with this picture of cliff performing:
    2n6gpk.jpg

The left one is Tube Screamer TS808, in middle Morley Power Wah Boost, and on the right Boss CS-2.
    i have the same effects so i took a picture to compare and that's it:
    nbrkwi.jpg

17. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Some of the gear in that rack dates after Cliff's death......Namely, the Nightbass, lol.

18. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    You can get enough fuzz/distortion from a Tube Screamer? I've always gotten the best results using an EH Big Muff Pi pedal in front of the Morley.

19. Ondskan56

Ondskan56

Dec 17, 2010
    i thought that too, i played with my bass through the pedals like this: Bass -> Boss CS-2 -> Morley Power Wah Boost -> Tube Screamer TS808 -> Ampeg BA-112
    At first i didn't had enough fuzz when i've set the ts808 to maximum and overdrive and tone (level 9 o'clock) but then i have used the boost the the morley and it gave me nice growl!
    you can here it here:
    http://www53.zippyshare.com/v/75507587/file.html

20. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Sounds pretty good! Wonder if Cliff relied more on the boost from the Morley to get the amount of overdrive needed?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021