Cliff Burton's Ric pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fremenblue, Mar 2, 2005.

1. fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I can tell from the pics online that he had an EB pup at the neck. Can anyone with superior photoshop/graphics analysis skilz (sic) see if that's a jazz pup at the bridge? Thanks!!
  2. PatL

Jan 7, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    I think he had a Fender Jazz pickup and a Gibson EB0 pickup.
  3. What is the point in that? That's just ruining a rick! And I can never hear Cliff Burton, the guitars drown him out.
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Cliff's the one you CAN hear, Jason's the one you can't. I've read that it is a Jazz pickup (fender) and a EB0 as well.
    \m/ \m/ RIP buddy...

5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Just so you know, the Ric was for Kill 'Em All. He used an Aria Pro II (now reissued) on Ride ze Lightning and Master of Puppets. The Aria just has a soapbar pickup by the bridge.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Gibson EB in the Front and Fender Jazz in the rear.
  7. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    It's funny how almost every famous Rick player's Rick(s) have gone through some modifications (or other weirdness). Geddy Lee put Badass bridges on his, Paul McCartney did all sorts of crazy painting and sanding to his, Chris Squire had a similar painting/sanding experience with his (he was quoted as saying it came down to 2/3rds of its original weight) and of course Cliff Burton's mods and Lemmy's as well.
  8. ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I can't blame people for putting different bridges on their Rics. I love the 4001/4003, but that bridge is pretty funky.
  9. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah the bridge is the only real issue I have with them. And I know some guys love the mute contraption, but I never found much use for it (nowadays I have an extra pickup hiding in that cavity).