Cliff Burtons Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Nov 2, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    ok does anyone know what rig cliff used. I know that he used an SVT Head powering a mesa 1x15 but the bit that confused me when reading about this rig is that it said he used "guitar style 4x12s on top of the 15" does this mean he used guitar speaker cabs or is it just referring to the fact that 4x12 is a common guitar set up. this has been bugging me for a long time so some help would be great.
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I know he played rickenbacer basses and aria bass. But the aria bass he played is now like long gone because i've never seen any around. And plus if you want to sound like cliff just get a electro harmonix big muff pi and a morley wah thats what he used i think.
  3. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    check out the cliff 'em all video - on (welcome home) sanitarium you can see all of his cabs. looks like the 1x15 was sandwiched between two 4x12 bass cabs... i may be wrong, but this is what i remember seeing. i'm sure he used 4 cabs insted of just 3, though.

as for the aria basses that he used, i have an aria pro2 black and gold series I just like his. he also used a different model aria pro2 black and gold, but with more control knobs than on the series I. he also started using an alembic before his tragic death.
  4. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    thanks for that guys, i knew he used those pedals, i just really wanted to clarify that 4x12 cab thing. would that combination of 12's on top of 15's not give a very muddy bass sound with vey few highs coz that would have been my initial reaction.
  5. Cliff used a Mesa D-180, not an SVT,and he had various cab configurations, usually 1x15" or 2x15" and mostly just one or two cabs. You're not going to get his midrange with an SVT. The 4x12's were for guitar. Remember, Metallica put Mesa Boogie on the map and they had a ton of dummy cabs onstage for promotion. If you've got Cliff 'Em All, check out the club shot of where he does "Anethesia;" he's got an Acoustic amp on a 2x15 cab for his Rick. I don't think he was that picky about gear.